I like this city !


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
November 18th 2016
Published: November 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Third time I have tried to write this... ether ate the first . I hit the wrong thing the second ...third time is a charm ....right....RIGHT !

As I was saying ..taking the city tour the first day was a good idea . I thought it would be a good over view and I could return and spend more time later in the week . Not going to happen . I tried to return to the city center today and it is all closed off for security reasons . There is an international conference being held here so the area around the Plaza Major is not assessible . It is good that I saw the amazing Palaces built for the govenor and the archbishop in 16 and 17 hundreds . The moorish style is apparent in many of the buildings downtown. San Francisco , started in 1557 and rebuilt and completed in the 17th C is impressive and HUGE. There is a painting of the Last Supper done in 1656 that I really liked . The Peruvians like the fact that they are dining on guinea pig ...a national delicacy . Beneath the chuch are the catacombs believed to hold the bones of 70,000 people. A strange place incredibly well built in order to exist under a church that must weigh tonnes. The Spanish did know how to build.

Lima Wari Hostel-suites is 5 minutes from the ocean ...high up on a cliff which is Barranco in Spanish . It is a great area .Yesterday I walked for miles and enjoyed seeing the mansions built in the 18 hundreds that sprang up as people discovered the joys of bathing in the sea . Summer homes (BIG HOMES ) were built and many have been lovingly cared for .This one was built in 1802 and it,s been converted to 13 rooms with capacity for 20 guests . There are also 2 dining areas , several lounge-type ares and seating in several out door areas as well . I am liking it a great deal .

Barranco is considered ´´Bohemian ¨ .Many artists ,musicians live here and it also has a great many bars and restaurants . Because there are so many people around it is considered very safe.

That´s it for now . Hard to believe time is going so quickly . I have found my traveling grove and like it .Hope all is well with you .

Advertisement



18th November 2016

SOUNDS GREAT
ALL IS WELL HERE, HAVE WONDERFUL TIME THERE
18th November 2016

your wonderful adventure!
You go girl! Carol was concerned about your safety in Peru but it sounds like you are doing just fine! Are you able to monitor your emails? Or is this the method of communication? Warmest hugs from Joy
18th November 2016

Enjoying your experiences in Lima. Keep the stories coming.Exciting to hear about the old architecture, history and details of the city. Feeling more like winter in Calgary. Chilly. Off to PV and Los Ayala Saturday for a month. Be safe and have fun!!!

Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb