Paddle in the pacific


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
March 4th 2016
Published: March 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were all rather pleased to dump our backs and crash into our beds, half a day sat on a plane is enough to get us all in need of recovery.
Breakfast in the hotel went down a treat with pancakes and maple syrup getting a big thumbs up. Dragon fruit was tried by all and we also tried a fruit called a praca which looked like a massive runner bean and had banana-ish fleshy seed pods. I had four little prezzies which will be brilliant for this trip: Jacks, Dobble cards, Pass the Pigs and a highly recommended card game called Back Packets.
No power or water in the hotel this morning, so we headed straight out to the beach road. Lima is shrouded in a lot of sea fog by all accounts and we disappeared into it. Ed and Hat enjoyed using the fitness apparatus along the running and cycling route. A little paddle in the Pacific was very welcome and Cas compared the view of the Lima headland to that of Llandundo...
Cas spotted a lovely little cafe which served up warm breads and pastries along with amazing ice coffee and smoothie which Cas and Hat 'yummed' and 'arrrhhed' over and we all felt rather good about the world.
We found a great little travel agents and decided to book many of our bus jourenys which would then cut down hassle whilst we're on route over the next few weeks.
A brief supermarket trip saw Ed purchase, much to his amusement, some croissants and strawberry jam from a company called Fanny.
For lunch we walked up to the Huaca Pucllana, an ancient temple, which had a cracking traditional Peruvian restaurant. Interestingly, both Ed and Hattie have started being more experimental with food and they have both been keen to try out Spanish on the locals. I ordered a traditional tripe dish which looked like sweetcorn and wasn't particularly flavoursome; Cas chose well and said that her meal was excellent.
Back to the hotel and it's chill out time as we're adjusting to the -6 hours time difference. We also did our first hand washing and our clothes were strung out on our elastic washing line.
When asked what they thought was different about Lima compared to the UK, Ed and Hat said: 'it's much noisier ie lots of horns honking and sirens going off, the traffic lights have timers, lots more police, lots more dogs on the street, much hotter, less safety, very busy with people and it smells like the sea.'


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th March 2016

First ever blog viewing and comment!!
Steve came for a small breakfast and then we noticed your message on our email. Had to read it out loud as mom doesn't have her reading glasses. It all looks very exciting and can't wait for the next instalment. We liked the name of the restaurant and was surprised Ed wasn't impressed with the name of this one too!! We had a slight covering of snow this morning and Birmingham has a slight aroma of car adhesive. Typed by Steve as I couldn't stand by watching dad typing with one finger!! Love Mom Dad and steve xx

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb