Finally in Peru... Hello Lima!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
July 8th 2010
Published: July 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lima was a really pleasant surprise for me. I had heard that it was dirty, grimy, dangerous, and gray. The only thing that I’ve found entirely true is that it’s gray. Yes, there are parts of Lima that are dirty, grimy, and probably dangerous. But the area of Miraflores and Barranco are really lovely, modern, clean, and pretty. I’m kind of enamored by Lima, actually. We read that all of the businesses moved out of the downtown part of the city and into Miraflores because it’s such a booming commercial center. It also happens to be walking distance from the ocean and the beachfront parks of Lima. There is a really pretty park called Parque Kennedy in the center and it’s surrounded by really good restaurants, shops, and hostels. It’s also full of kitties. We’ve been used to street dogs everywhere else, but here it’s all cats! There is also a beachside mall called Larcomar walking distance from our hostel. It has tons of stores, a bowling alley, and a movie theater. And even though it’s gray and hazy outside, at least it’s not raining. And even though it’s winter down here, it’s really not that cold.

Once we got down here, we decided we should look into flights to Cuzco so we could see Machu Picchu. So our first full day in Lima we spent the whole morning visiting travel agencies and getting price quotes for round-trip flights. A bus would have taken 24 hours one-way and would’ve cost about $50 anyway. We found and booked a flight for $215 that left the very next day. We spent the rest of the afternoon eating some of the best food we’ve had down here, walking around Miraflores, walking down to Lover’s Park on the beach, and hanging out at Larcomar. We went to a movie there (Crazy Heart) and for a moment felt like we could’ve been in AnyCity, USA. That night I stayed up all night using the free internet at the hostel and trying to update the blog and add photos to previous entries. We had to leave at 3:30 a.m. to head to the airport for our 6 a.m. flight to Cuzco.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kitty sleeping in holeKitty sleeping in hole
Kitty sleeping in hole

Cat Park (Parque Kennedy)
Best meal in S.A.Best meal in S.A.
Best meal in S.A.

Ceviche and Palta rellena (avocado filled with chicken salad)


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb