Mom And Pop Bergeron Come To Town!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
December 10th 2007
Published: December 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Huascaran and Unicorns?Huascaran and Unicorns?Huascaran and Unicorns?

Huascaran is the tallest mountain in Peru at over 22,000 feet. It is located near Huaraz, Peru in the Cordillera Blanca (Range in the Andes Mountains).
Happy Holidays Everyone! We definitely miss the holiday feeling down here in Lima. It is just not the same as the weather gets warmer and warmer. Everyday starts off with low clouds followed by clearing around noon. The average daytime temperature along the coast (when the Sun comes out) is about 70-75 degrees.

After thinking about it for a long time, Mom and Dad Bergeron decided to come down to Peru for a week for a quick visit. We spent the first few days in Miraflores and Lima getting acquainted with the surroundings, eating great seafood, visiting museums, and sampling a few Peruvian beverages. Dad was very interested in trying the cuy (guinea pig) but after hearing that it had too many small bones, he decided to pass.

They were very interested about seeing the Andes Mountains so Melanie and I decided to take them on a quick three day trip to the mountain town of Huaraz which is about a 7 1/2 hour bus ride north of Lima. We made sure everyone was well medicated with the high altitude pill Diamox. I was a little worried about how their bodies would react to 12,000 feet but there were no problems. Everyone was impressed by the incredible vistas of the mountains and lakes.

On the last evening in Lima, we had a salsa instructor come over to our apartment to give us a little 60 minute lesson. I wish I could have taken a video of the lesson......my Dad has got some moves! It was great having them both here in Lima!

Melanie just left for jungle city of Iquitos today to work on her Dengi Fever project for the next two weeks. I will be meeting up with her later this week. After her work, we decided to go ahead and stay for Christmas and return back to Lima on December 27th. We are not exactly sure what we are going to do yet but we will be armed with DEET and malaria medication.

Have a fantastic Holiday Season!!!

Melanie and Bill


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Trying Some Different FoodsTrying Some Different Foods
Trying Some Different Foods

Mom is not sure about the fish (Cebiche).
Spanish Inquisition MuseumSpanish Inquisition Museum
Spanish Inquisition Museum

Part of the tour required us to go underground and check out some holding chambers.
Lazy Dog InnLazy Dog Inn
Lazy Dog Inn

The four of us stayed in a cabin about 30 minutes outside of Huaraz, Peru. The B&B was called The Lazy Dog Inn.
Huascaran National ParkHuascaran National Park
Huascaran National Park

On one of the days in Huaraz, we took a day trip to Huascaran National Park.
Polylepis Tree in Huascaran National ParkPolylepis Tree in Huascaran National Park
Polylepis Tree in Huascaran National Park

This unique tree in Peru has "tissue paper" like bark that flakes off in the wind.


10th December 2007

Perros
Love the perrito theme of the blogs! Billy--keep 'em coming. Mira al sol en Miraflores! Que rico! Miss you guys.
11th December 2007

Great to hear from you!
Bill and Melanie, It's great to hear from you again - I had no idea you were in Peru for the year. I would have sent a Christmas card to Cali - now I'll wait until next year. What a great experience for both of you! Please continue to send me your blog link as you update your journal. Enjoy your holidays! Love ya! Alicia

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb