Chiclayo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lambayeque » Chiclayo
August 28th 2014
Published: September 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We spent one night in Chiclayo so we could visit the Museo Tumbas Reales del Senor de Sipan in nearby Lambayeque. The museum contains all the precious finds from the Royal Tombs of Sipán and is designed so you follow in the footsteps of the archeologists and see everything in the same order as they were discovered. The museum contains lots of artifacts as well as photos from the dig. It begins at the top with the detailed ceramics representing gods, people, plants, llamas and other animals. The next level was my favourite with unbelievable jewellery such as the fine turquoise and gold ear ornaments showing ducks, deer and the lord Sipán himself. The archeologists had left a small part of some of the items as they found them, which clearly showed the amount of painstaking work that had gone into restoring the items. The final floor included a reproduction of how the tomb was found. He was buried with his top warrior and wife amongst others as well as llamas and the artifacts.

If I was an archeologist this would have been one of the most amazing projects to work on as the finds were just so amazing, detailed and precious. I think I would have to say this is one of my favourite museum visits.

We left the museum and took a day bus from Chiclayo to Mancora which was our last stop in Peru. Mancora is a surfing party town on the coast in Northern Peru. We were looking forward to a couple of days relaxing in the warm weather.

We avoided the party hostels and checked into a hotel a couple of blocks back from the beach but with a lovely swimming pool. We enjoyed wandering along the main street, the beach and relaxing by the pool.

We ate lunch overlooking the beach and watching the windsurfers, some of them were clearly better than others.

In Mancora I finally convinced Gary it was time to say goodbye to his jandles and buy a new pair. As you can see from the photo he was pretty attached to his old pair that had reached the point where they had developed what Gary calls aerodynamic speed holes for faster movement.

Mancora was to be our last stop in Peru. Leaving Peru I was hoping the people of Ecuador were not so keen on their car horns as the Peruvians. I was getting sick of every single taxi honking their horns at you even if they are in a line of taxis that have all honked at you, along with all the locals honking for some reason unknown to me.

Next stop Cuenca, Ecuador


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th September 2014

good-by jangles
What a fab museum near Chiclayo--I can hardly wait! And I so agree with you about the horns here in Peru--I think they are the worst in South America. Congratulations on being bloggers of the week. If you have 500 words and 10 photos, your blog will appear on the front page and everyone will know that Mancora has lovely, relaxing parts, not just the party scene (so happy to hear that).

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb