Mud Without Rain


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
July 29th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heading 600km north to Trujillo we were glad to see the back of Lima. The main attraction here is Chan Chan a mud city built in the early 14th century, there are a couple of other archaelogical sites as well and the city itself has a nicely restored centre - which is painted in bright colours, so nice after the grey of Lima.
After the bad experiences we've had with organised tours we DIY'd it today which is a bit more difficult but it gives us the control we want and the flexibility to do things in our own time - we weremuch happier :-) This area is so dry Chan Chan has survived to various degrees for ~700 years, pretty cool. Only one part of it is open, but the whole site is huge, it must have been an impressive place in it's glory days. The other sites are OK, but nothing to write home about. By the middle of the afternoon we'd pretty much done everything we wanted to so tomorrow morning will head up to Chiclayo for a couple of days, then maybe a day or two on the beach in Tumbes - depending on the weather, before we head into Ecuador.
This evening the church opposite the hostel we're staying in had a big event to celebrate the Virgen del Carmen, it seems we're in the season for this after the celebration of the same virgin that happened while we were in Cabanaconde, wonder why they're two weeks apart if they're the same thing ?? There are no fireworks here but the drummers are so loud it's seting off car alarms and rattling the glass in our windows !! The turnout is big, and not just old people, this is a very religious country.
It's now over nine weeks since we got here and we've covered something like 8000 km across five countries, between us we've taken close to 4000 photographs. The time is flying. It's the adventure we both wanted and we're loving it, there's always something else to look forward to, it's great :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Plaza de Armas, TrujilloPlaza de Armas, Trujillo
Plaza de Armas, Trujillo

Atsuko walking past one of the many colourful buildings around the square.
Plaza de Armas, TrujilloPlaza de Armas, Trujillo
Plaza de Armas, Trujillo

Some of the many colourful buildings.
Plaza de Armas, TrujilloPlaza de Armas, Trujillo
Plaza de Armas, Trujillo

Some of the many colourful buildings.
Iglesia de San Francisco, TrujilloIglesia de San Francisco, Trujillo
Iglesia de San Francisco, Trujillo

Fiesta Virgen del Carmen


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb