Huanchaco / Mancora and how our bus got robbed


Advertisement
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Huanchaco
August 13th 2015
Published: August 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Boy oh boy, am I behind with the blog. So I better get cracking and update it before I forget what has happened or I don’t have the time to write it down. After an amazing, and exhausting, time with Carla in Lima it was time for her to get back home to Brasilia and for me to continue my trip. Carla’s flight was early in the morning and I had booked an overnight bus to Huanchaco in the north o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




13th August 2015

Glad you are safe
WOW! That was a close one! I had a similar bus experience in Honduras except the ones who stopped the bus and had the guns were the police!!! They frisked everyone but only searched my luggage. I was told later they were looking for money or drugs as contraband. I've taken those buses in Peru ( from Lima to Ica) and they are beautiful and luxurious. On one they played a BINGO type game and I won a bottle of Pisco ;-) Try to get to Vilcabamba in Southern Ecuador. It is full of massage therapists and opportunities to go horseback riding. Have a massage before AND after you ride. Also, try to get to Cuenca. It is about a 1 1/2 hour flight from Quito. It is a lovely colonial town. Safe journey. Are you coming to the USA?
13th August 2015

Thank you ....
... for your comment. I have heard some horror stories about the cops in South America, especially Bolivia and Columbia. But so far I was lucky. Maybe has something to do with that I am 1.93 m tall so people think twice messing with me. I have been in Cuenca and it is beautiful. But more to that in the next update. I am back in Brasilia right now catching up with the blog. And unfortunately I am not making it to the US this time. Take care wherever you are and keep on traveling......
13th August 2015

"Could have been me"
It's potentially life changing how "It could have been me" can cross our paths when we travel. What would have happened if you had got your usual overnight possie downstairs and you were robbed at gunpoint? Quite a different travel plan would follow I reckon. Hope the luck stays with you.
13th August 2015

It could have....
... been me. Thing is that I normally travel on the lower deck but not this time; they had no seats left. So I was lucky. And you are right with saying it could have changed my travels. But such is life. Sometimes I think I have some spirits looking after me with all the shit I did in my life and I am still around. May they look after me for a long time coming. Stay save Dave and keep on traveling. And maybe one day our paths will cross...
14th August 2015

Far too long to hear from you
The road has been keeping you busy. OMG my heart would have stopped. You always have such interesting issues, stories and adventures. Let us know when you come to the US.
14th August 2015

Well Dave...
...I am not making it up. I think if you travel the way I do sooner or later you experience shit like that. But all is good. And compared with what other peoples go through I am lucky.
14th August 2015
Inca ruins of Chan Chan

Bus robberies
I've been living in Peru for a bit and read the front page of the newspapers when I pass the stands. Unfortunately, bus robberies definitely are an occurrence down here--more so on the cheap buses that I take, but also on even the fancy ones. Amazing that what at first seemed unlucky--not getting the bed seat--turned out to be very lucky! Love your photos of Chan Chan!
14th August 2015
Inca ruins of Chan Chan

Thanks for the comment ...
... and yes I heard they are on the increase. Shame. And as I said I didn't expect it in Peru of all places. And yes I was lucky. Chan Chan is amazing and I am surprised that not more people know about it. But South America is full of great places to visit. Enjoy your travels.......
18th August 2015

Scary
This just happened here in UK aswell.. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-suspected-county-road-armed-9467512
29th September 2015

Hello
Greetings oh travelled one. Good to se that you're still on the go. I'm just back from England and Scotland visiting alte Freunde and enjoying historical sites. Off to Cuba mid November. Any chance we can meet up there? Jock is in a bad way and is not long for this world but is still noisy and robust in spirit. Hop you are and remain well. DavidA

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb