Dancing and dogs


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » Huancayo
March 25th 2015
Published: March 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We continue to teach, at a fairly organized primary school. Each of us teaches 3 classes a day, and together we cover all 42 classes in the entire place! And we have heard there will be 2 volunteers when we leave, so that´s great. We got to a local dance festival and they didn´t want us to watch, we were all pulled in. Amazingly, Dave is the one who did the most animated dancing, they put a vest and hat on him, and told him to kick up his heels!

We are tired of seeing the sick scrawny dogs everywhere, and the occassional dead dog as well. Really time for Peru to address this problem. We also see a fair number of hairless dogs , and they seem well cared for.

We took a bus trip to the foot hills of the Andes east of here. The highway was new and very nice, but the cliffs, falling rock and driving were absolutely terrifying. a real death defying trip. We heard later that on a flat highway 3 huge busses had collided, with an enormous death rate. However, we enjoyed our time in the town of La Merced, meeting 2 other volunteers there. We did a couple of wonderful jungle walks to waterfalls, and loved being warmer, having a shower and flush toilet. Lookingn forward to Semana Santa, as the weeks before and during Easter promise to be colorful.

Currently the highway to Lima is closed due to flooding and rockslides, that have claied several lives in towns along the way. The rains seem to be unusual right now.

On Lisa´s birthday, the family will celerate their son´s and Lisa´s birthdays with Pachamanca, a huge feast involving rocks, and fire, and burying the food in teh ground for several hours!

Ciao for now, and don´t take your flush toilet for granted!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb