Sandboarding and sunbathing


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
August 5th 2011
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Cusco on Tuesday night and headed to Ica. We had heard good things about the sandboarding and wanted to give it a go. By complete coincidence the 3 girls, Rachael, Fiona and Heather from Newcastle, that were working in Cusco, arrived at Ica on the same day!
We stayed in a place called Huacachina, which is like an oasis in the middle of the dessert, sooo cool!

Our hostel was grand, clean pool and private room with private bathroom, quite the job. The girls stayed in a slightly nicer hotel next to us so we ended up using their pool quite a bit! There was also a parrot there which climbed down from the tree and onto Eoghan while we sitting by the pool!

We booked ourselves in for sandboarding and sandbuggying that day and Heather came with us and there were two other irish boys in the buggy.
It was soooo much fun! We had a bit of a crazy driver , he liked to siphon petrol from other buggies and fill ours up all while smoking, so we had lots of jumps and scary hills but it was class, we got a few seconds of air on one jump!. Then we sandboarded. I tried standing up for a while but failed pretty miserably, but i was a bit of a speed machine on my belly! Eoghan got really good at it. Bit of a pro standing up now! The first few were quite small but the last 3 were huge and it was quite scary building yourself up for it, but they were so much fun. We ended up doing the sandboarding 3 times while we were there so we clearly enjoyed it.
We met a few people sandboarding too so we had a couple of good nights out as well. We were all brought from our hostel to a "party" in a place down the road but it turns out
We went wine tasting with the girls and a german couple, which turn out to be more like Pisco tasting. I was disappointed that i didnt get drunker to be honest but we bought some of the local sweet wine called Perfecto Amor. Its a mix of white grapes and red grapes so if you drink it apparently you will haven Peruvian babies!
Plan next is to go to the Balleras Islands to spot
Dune buggiesDune buggiesDune buggies

across the universe!
penguins then on up the coast, hopefully avoid an overnight stop in Lima.
Huacachina is a great wee spot, I would really recommend it despite all my bruises!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

the desert we were sandbuggying/baording inthe desert we were sandbuggying/baording in
the desert we were sandbuggying/baording in

i dont know what to do with my hands!
Top of the third hillTop of the third hill
Top of the third hill

Paul, Eoghan, Heather and Eoin about to set off
Vineyard Vineyard
Vineyard

One of the vineyards and the belltower
Big barrelsBig barrels
Big barrels

Some of the barrels the wine is fermented in


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb