Huacachina, the little oasis!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
October 13th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me pedalling on the lakeMe pedalling on the lakeMe pedalling on the lake

Check the cool hat!
Huacachina is definately more like a touristy holiday resort than a travelling destination, but all the same, it was a nice break! Huacachina is a small oasis surrounded by huge sandunes. I couldn't get over how compact this place was, you could walk around it within around 10 minutes. On the oasis there were little pedal boats that you could ride on, it reminded me of when I was a child. Speaking of children, we were surrounded by them, lots of Peruvian families holidaying with their children, splashing around in the tiny lake.

What made this place so different from your typical holiday resort for an English family was the sandunes! These are exactly what drew us to Huacachina in the first place as you can ride around them in a rollercoaster type fashion on these monster sand buggys. They really were monster vehicles. You could hear their roaring engines from a mile off. For just 45 soles we were driven up and down these huge dunes, screaming over every huge drop, fearing that our vehicle would topple over!

For the brave there was also sandboarding. Me being a wuss, didn't participate. I opted to nestle in the safety of the top of the sandune and take pictures of the crazy fools that flew down the sandunes headfirst on the boards!

This place was definately worth a go and I'd recommend it for anyone, even if you do not want to go on the sand buggys as climbing those monster sandunes is somewhat satisfying. Exhausting, but satisfying, due to the amazing view you get from the top. I've never seen so much sand in my life (or had so much in my hair and clothes, which is still appearing as i pull tops and socks out of my bag now a week later). I wouldn't describe it as beautiful, just so exotic and different. All you can see for miles is sandunes. So if anything, go for the view!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Me at the top of one of the dunesMe at the top of one of the dunes
Me at the top of one of the dunes

super zoom, it's actually really high


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb