Peru Lima, Paracas and Huacachina


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Oasis.The Oasis.The Oasis.

Reflection in the desert.
Peru entry 1

Peru - Lima, Wildlife of Ballestas Island, Sand boarding in Huacachina
31st May - 4th June

Our Adventure Itinerary around Peru!
Arriving in Lima we were up for exploring this country. It has so much to offer, so much to see and do, we were raring to go! We had a meeting with a tour operator and organised a 35 day tour of the main sites of Peru: Sand boarding in the desert, observing wildlife of the Ballestas Islands, a flight over the Nazca lines, discovering the Colca Canyon and the flying condors, getting acclimatised at Arequipa, Puno, staying in a homestay on an island in Lake Titicaca (largest navigable lake in the world), Cusco, Machu Picchu, Iquitos (the only city you can’t access via a road) and a jungle trip for 5 days in the Amazon! Its a huge and exciting journey around Peru.

Lima to Ballestas Islands trip.
In Lima we stayed the Miraflores area and enjoyed the park, art displays, locals dancing in the amphitheatre during the evenings, and visited some 1500 yrs old ruins.

So the adventures began from Lima to the town of Paracas. Here we had a boat trip out to the Ballestas Islands; know as Peru’s mini Galapagos. Now here is apparently one of the World’s driest places, and its heavy cloud, mist and fine drizzle greeted us early in the morning! Wearing 3 layers to keep warm, (including an anorak) we boarded the boat quite amused!

Our first sight of wildlife it left us astounded, but holding our noses. Birds covering every available space perched on the steep rocky edges, discolouring it to a shade of white - so much bird poo! Peruvian boobies, pelicans, penguins, and sea lions to name a few of what we saw. It was a most enjoyable trip.

Bone shaking, eye wateringly fast buggy rides through the impressively high sand dunes and sand boarding down them!

One night stop in Paracas, we continued onto Huacachina, an oasis settlement. Here was an experience of a lifetime! The staggering sand dune scenery of the desert completely surrounds a lake.

Within seconds of jumping and strapping tightly into the desert buggy, we were bumping around and zooming about on sand dunes that were as high as mountains. I was so terrified, he drove so fast, extreme speed up and down slopes that were so so impossibly steep. My stomach flipped, I closed my eyes as I feared for my life! Suddenly we had stopped, and stood staring into the distance at the awesome sight of the sand dunes as far as the eye could see. The guide handed us a board, and explained we could go down like snow boarding or go head first. So rather hesitant I watched others and then I had no choice but to get on with it! Head first off I went, and it was jolly fast and a little bone shaking too. Then back in the buggy, and another dune to board down, then another and another. The penultimate slope, we stood astonished at its height! The whole group couldn’t believe we had to go down it! No way was I going head first, so I tried to stand up, and oh I was rubbish! Sand got everywhere, pockets, boots and knickers. I need more practice and less fear to accomplish this sport! However, the final slope I went for it and I now want to go back for more!

It had been an incredible experience to go buggy riding and sand boarding on the sand dunes! Scared, fearful, exhausting but completely awesome.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Huacachina Oasis.Huacachina Oasis.
Huacachina Oasis.

This is where we stayed.


31st May 2013
Earthquake crack on the cliff edge.

Question about use
Would it be possible to use the above photo for the cover of a self published book I have authored titled "Water Shock"? it would be part of a composite image. We will be glad to provide a citation about the source in the cover credits. Your early reply will be appreciated.

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 20; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb