Sand, sand and more sand!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
July 16th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So arrived in Ica from Lima yesterday and then well suprisingly enough went to bed..
Our first day was spent in Ica calling home, visiting a couple of churches and a rather interesting museum full of dead people, trepanned skulls and a preserved sawn-off hand in a jar. Not quite sure why any of them were there though..

We then caught a taxi to nearby Huacachina and checked into 'The House of Sand'. We walked around the oasis and up onto one of the dunes which took all of half an hour..got absolutely exhausted just going up the one dune so who knows how we're going to fare tomorrow whilst carrying sandboards!

Made an early start to the day intending to have finished by ten but unfortunately didn't count on the locals not getting up until ten at the earliest..bloody lazy South Americans! Had breakfast in the one place that actually looked open then wasted some time on the internet before finally finding somone with sandboards at eleven. He seemed to find us hilarious..so we disappeared behind one sand-dune so he wouldn't have to witness our embarrassment..or infact our amazing natural talents...ahem!

Kat bravely went first..I think under the threat that if she didnt, we wouldnt be eating anything that cost more than 3 S/. I have to say, as amusing as it was for me Kats first attempts made us glad that we had hidden behind a dune! Generally involved us lying on a board not being able to get over the crest of the hill..but we soon got the hang of it. And it actually turned out to be really good fun, although hard work running up and down those hills all day! And we were COVERED in sand after - I now know the meaning of having sand in places you didnt know existed..before our hour was up, we attempted to do it properly standing up but I can't say either of us are really cut out to be professional sandboarders!

Checked out and hopped onto Nazca bus..still covered in sand..lovely!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Me waxing my board..Me waxing my board..
Me waxing my board..

I thought I looked like i knew what I was doing..!


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb