Paracas


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Ballestas Islands
July 8th 2011
Published: August 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we made our journey to Paracas in luxury!! OMG we thought we were coming to Peru to slum it!! We booked the bus very quickly this morning (to get out of Lima as fast as we could) and headed of to the seemingly most dangerous bus station ever. Well it wasn´t. It was the nicest bus station we´ve ever seen, a bit like an airport. Plus Kevin got the nicest steak stir fry in the world. Much to his delight!!! As you can imagine!

Our bus arrived and we stepped into what looked like something from the Orient Express! Never experienced comfort like it. And after what we saw in Lima, we were expecting a rusty old 8 seater VW with the exhaust hanging off. We put the recliners back and the foot rests up ready for the movie and then were presented with a chicken stir fry from South Americas culinary capital. What a bus!
We travelled alond the Pan American highway which is not like Route 66 as the name may suggest. It was a stark contrast to the poverty we saw in the shantytowns along the road. When we saw the first one we thought maybe thats where the poor of Lima live. Until we came across one after another after another. We travelled for 4 hours today and hundreds of miles and we saw nothing else but 100´s of these communities living in nothing but desert. What they live off I do not know!!

Miles and miles of sand and cardboard tin rooved houses, dirt and utter poverty. Lets just say we´re a very priviliged people in Ireland.We arrived in Paracas and went to Baggage Claim?!!¿ (in the desert). A little Peruvian man was waiting for us with a big sign saying Kevin and Sarah. He took us to our hostel and we very badly tried to speak Spanish and he put up with us for a while!
It´s 8pm here and it´s pitch dark! Peru´s winter. It´s a very quiet tiny place. There are the most beautiful children playing outside on the road with their dogs and little friends. It´s so relaxed here. Just went for a walk along the fishing port and saw two flamingos fly past. Bought some postcards and gonna head for a beer now. Kevin thinks I´m writing a book and to give over!
Hope everyones good at home.
Love Kevin and Sarah
xxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb