The Coolest City


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
September 19th 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After two weeks in Ecuador and decades of thinking about this place, I had a certain expectation of what Cuzco would be like; a tourist trap with lots of locals cashing in; a pack-packer grotto full of younger people drinking too much and being loud.

What I didn't expect was to find, in the ancient city of Cuzco, a beautiful town with lanes and cobbled streets. A number of plazas beautifully hemmed in with balconies full of diners and candles. Up market boutique shops with great products. And I didn't expect a clean place with so much culture and class.

Cuzco is 3,400 meters above sea level and boasts the highest Irish pub (Paddy's) in the world, and very nice it is too. There is a constant air of expectation in the air as people arrive to prepare for Macchu Picchu and people return having walked the Inca trail and seen the wonder of the world.

I love this place and could stay another week. It reminds me of an Italian village with little lanes and bars everywhere. With smartly dressed, attractive people strolling about, enjoying life. You feel warm and safe and keen to explore the next cobbled lane to hunt out a different menu or boutique bar.

At 5am we head for Machhu Pichhu and a three day trek. Sorry to go but excited about the upcoming adventure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb