Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
June 27th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CuscoCuscoCusco

Linda with menu and view, a good combination.
After Lima we flew to Cusco, which was the ancient capital of the Incas. Now its the first port of call for visitors to macchu Picchu and surrounding areas which are full of Inca remains.

The central part of town is the most picteresque as its contains both Spanish colonial buildings and partial inca buildings, often incorporated into other buildings.

Its very touristy but walk away from the main square and you will only see locals, going about their daily business. Its dusty, loud and noisy but you never know what you are going to come across.

One morning we strolled up to the San Blas area, which is the old artisan quarter, uphill from the main square. We found a small cafe in the San Blas square and ordered a couple of coffees to wake us it.

While I sat at the table waiting for the drinks, Linda wandered up some steps to investigate some music coming from above us. As she got to the top she was faced with a group of men, moving fast, carrying a life sized crucifix. It must have been very heavy as they had a man in front clearing the
Cusco.Cusco.Cusco.

Leprauchans, as well as Saint Brendan, must have made it to the Americas.
way. Unfortunately, Linda was in their path and was unceremoniously told to move out of their way, which she did. It would have made an interesting claim on our travel insurance, run over by crucifix. Strangely enough, when they got to the bottom of the steps, he paused to shake my hand. No idea why, maybe it was just an excuse to catch his breath. They then disappeared off into the distance. No idea what was going on, probably a religious ceremony, but an interesting memory of our trip.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

CuscoCusco
Cusco

View from San Blas area of Cusco.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Park here and we will chop your car in half.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Cathedral towers.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Cusco suburbs.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Girls and Llymas. Sorry, Ciara, I know they are smaller than baby elephants, but I still cannot bring you back one.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Linda letting sleeping dogs lie.
Cusco.Cusco.
Cusco.

Spanish colonial church built atop Inca walls.
Cusco.Cusco.
Cusco.

Sign above arch indicates that it is the perfect spot to shelter under in the event of an earthquake, which are not uncommon in Peru.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Watch out, life size crucifix approaching.


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb