Sacred valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
June 8th 2016
Published: July 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Baggage today had to be all sorted for the Inca trail as everything would be left in Cusco for storage. I pretty much have no idea what my bag weighs as one scale came up right on 2.5 and another scale 4 kg. I'm going to hope and pray the first reading is correct.



Andreas and Joel took us on private G Adventure bus on the full day sacred valley tour. We stopped first at a look out on the way to the White Jesus statue then again at the White Jesus for great views over the city.



Our second stop was a G Adventures project where ladies made textiles. It's incredible the things they made and you knew who you were buying gifts off and that it was genuine alpaca wool. We were given some food to feed the alpacas. One of them had a 4 day old baby and he was gorgeous. Looked just like a teddy bear. After everyone got some alpaca selfies we were shown how to spin alpaca yarn and how they use a parasite grown on cactus to make all the different colours to dye the wool. The colour changes depending on what is added to the parasite. It's incredible how many colour they can get from one little thing. It seriously created about 15-18 different colours.



Next stop was an included lunch also at a G Adventures project. The scenery was incredible as was the food. First was quinoa soup, then salads, breads, dips, chicken, potatoes. Very filling.



We arrived Ollantaytambo after 4, checked into hotel and had about 10 minutes to meet Joel again to take us on a tour of the Ollantaytambo ruins. We toured for about 40 minutes then had some free time until dinner. I went around the plaza on a mission to find a cheap poncho and a new water bottle. I ran into a few of the others who had the same idea.



We met Andreas for dinner and were taken to a nice cheap restaurant. Got grilled chicken and cheesy potato. After dinner Andreas, myself, Ash, Matt, Dave, Jenny and Jodi went to watch Peru v Ecuador at a bar. It was pretty much full of G Adventures guides. The game was a good one to watch with a 2-2 draw but not the result Peru wanted. They will need a win now against Brazil which will be played when we on the Inca trail. They all were having drinks but I took it easy and figured I will struggle enough tomorrow without any alcohol helping me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb