Preparing for the Inca Trail...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
March 15th 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 15th
Onto the mini-bus for an 830 start (not bad!) and we head off into the hills, Wil pointing out some Inca landmarks (and many Eucalyptus trees from Australia!) as we wind our way to the Sacred Valley. En route we stop at a small village where goods are still traditionally crafted. The village is also supported by GAP charity Planterra. We see how wools are spun out and naturally dyed, and some of the plants these come from. We watch some of the goods being made and then are sent shopping - knowing that each sale will directly benefit the villager selling. Some stuff is more expensive, but don't like the barter so much - although we do a bit.

Next stop is for a 'digital moment' (we've moved beyond Kodak moments) looking out over the Sacred Valley. Once again, option to buy tourist tat, we all resist! Onto the main activity of the day, to Pisaq, where we wander the ruins (hard going as is high/hot), Wil giving us some info. On the way back we see a 'traditional' Peruvian pipe player, and Wil gets him to stand in the view as we tip him for playing for us. We carry onto some tourist town where we have 50 minutes to wander the markets. Same stuff really, and I'm not sure that anyone buys.. And there's a bit of hoo-ha as just before we arrived someone was robbed. We have to remain vigilant! En route back to the bus thought it was hilarious to see a couple of (Japanese) boys fully dressed in ponchos, etc... And they even kind-of posed for me!

Lunch today is included, and we stop somewhere with a great buffet lunch. Tasty, especially the puddings which most people try a bit of everything with. Another stop after lunch - small place but quite a lot happening. We play a traditional Peruvian game where we throw brass disks and try to get them in holes - top score is the frog's mouth. I don't have great hand/eye co-ordination so I'm not so good at it, but it's fun trying. Next into a small room to try the corn beer (50c for a large glass) - nasty! Finally, we see the guinea pigs... All awaiting someone's special occasion at which it will be served.

We arrive in Ollantytambo a bit late to visit the Inca site there - Wil says will do it in the morning. Meantime, go for a wander round the village - see if there's anything else we need for the trail, but we're more interested in losing things! Sit around in the square watching the sunset. Head to the Blue Puppy for dinner, I'm not feeling great so no real meal - have a few chips as probably not best plan to start Inca Trail on empty stomach and haven't eaten much last couple days. Straight to sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st March 2008

Awesome!!!
Great pics! loved them - how do you compare this art with aborigene and maiori? Do Lhamas smell? (bad, I mean)

Tot: 0.423s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb