Machu Pichu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
November 25th 2016
Published: November 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Well I must say it is a site to behold . My first reaction was surprise at how large it is . The photos we see are of the central portion but there is way more than that . I would say twice as much . . What we usually see are the terraces where they grew their food . Looking at the main area to the left are the living quarters of the Incas . They really were a priviledged class . They did not do the work . They did the planning and the administrative work . The common people far outnumbered the Inca and in other parts of the Andes had assisted the Spanish in conquering the Inca .They lived above the Temple of the Condor where the construction is inferior .

The attention that was paid to the sun and therefore the seasons is remarkable . Our guide showed us the Intihuatana a stone which was carved and placed in such a way that the exact day of the solstice was known and therefore the agriculture cycle could proceed . I found it interesting that it never freezes in Machu Pichu . Things grow in the rainy season and die in the dry .This should be the rainy season in Peru but it has not begun and the farmers are getting worried.

Before reaching Agua Calientes (Machu Pichu town which was built to serve the tourist industry ) We had stayed in Oliantaytambo where one catches the train . The fortress Araqama Ayllu is really impressive and after several stops I was able to climb to the top , which may have been practice for MP. I tell you my lungs and my legs have been getting a real workout . To be honest I hate all the climbing but there is nothing to be done for it .It isn{t just the climbing it is the fact that the stair risers are almost knee height . Marauders would have a hard time going up while the warriors could come down much more easily .



The tour has been going well .GAdventures has been doing this for quite a while . I was surprised to learn they employ @500 for Machu Picu tours and another 500 for other tours in Peru :One day we stopped at 2 of their Planetara projects . The first has been going since 2005 and has helped a community to build an enterprise around Alpacas . Buying and tending the animals , shearing them once a year , carding and shaping the wool fibers , dying with natural prooducts then knitting and weaving products for sale in the markets .. It is amazing to see how that community has benefitted . The second deals with food preparation and the service industry . Training the people of the area in all aspects of the restaurant business . It is only used by Gap right now but next year other tour companies have been invited to bring their clients there. Good work .



We are back in Cusco at the moment but will leave tomorrow for Puno . I have a bit of dehli belly and have spent the day sleeping and reading . Too bad but the weather is cool and drizzly not very tourist frriendly .

Hope all is well . I do enjoy the comments . I can reply to your questions written in the blog so do look for the answers..

Advertisement



26th November 2016

Sounds like a fantastic trip. The Incas were an incredible society. I'm glad you were able to do the climb, don't know that I'd be able to.
26th November 2016

Great experience
Glad it was worth the climb. Nothing can take the place of actually being there. Hope your tum is back to normal. Looking forward to hearing about the next stage of your trip.
26th November 2016

SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING
WE WISH THEM WELL IN ALL THERE VENTURES. I'M SURE THERES IS NOT AN EASY LIFE. ENJOY BE SAFE LOVE ROGER
26th November 2016

Happy Birthday!
I know it is just around the corner and I think you will probably still be in Peru, so hope the day is enjoyable for you. Your adventure sounds amazing and very insightful, too. Cheers!
27th November 2016

Glad
I'm so glad that you got to see it with your own eyes!
28th November 2016

Amazing
How wonderful to see and experience! Imagine what humans could build if we could work together. I hope your tummy feels better soon. All is well here, still fall weather but hints that winter is coming soon, oh well. Yoga'n'beer last night with Jane; fun! A fundraiser for Mental Health Assn. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Tot: 0.463s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb