The Big Day Arrives


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
August 16th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Macchu PichuMacchu PichuMacchu Pichu

We arrived early and had the place to ourselves for a few minutes. In the background is the mountain we climbed afterwards, with amazing views down on Macchu Pichu.
Let me start by saying that even if I were a Pulitzer Prize winner and a National Geographic photographer, nothing I could say or write could possibly be the same as being at Macchu Pichu in person. And seeing as I´m neither of the above, that should be added incentive to go. This is probably the only time where I feel confident in writing with such hyperbole. It was that amazing.

We got up at 5am to catch the first bus at 5.30am. Apparently we weren´t the only people with that idea. But we still got there pretty quickly and did something sneaky (which I´ll describe if you ask me personally, but it´s one of those things you don´t want the entire internet to find out about) and ended up for five or ten full minutes having about half of Macchu Pichu to ourselves. It was incredible. I´ll try to put up the picture comparing Macchu Pichu at 5.45am vs midday.

Macchu Pichu is the ancient Inca city/temple/ruins that was only rediscovered in 1911. When the Spanish conquered the area in the 1500´s, they missed it because it was high above the valley and obscured by the trees. No-one is exactly sure what Macchu Pichu is, which adds to its beauty and intrigue. Clearly it was some sort of massive spiritual living area that was quite literally carved out of the hillside, a feat that you can´t really appreciate until you see the largeness and the detail of the site. There are stones in the buildings that are almost as perfect as modern bricks, but that were carved and chiseled by man. They had rock things (hard to describe) that could tell you when the equinoxes and solstices were. They figured out (without any contact with the West) which directions north, south, east and west were. Etc. I could write about it all day.

And it was so peaceful. Despite all the tourists, you could still find quiet spots to take over and absorb the views without distraction.

Lizzy and I then hiked up Wayna Pichu, which towers down over MP and has breathtaking views. Speaking of breathtaking, although it was only an hour hike up, we (okay, I) had to stop several times because the air is so thin. It´s a pretty steep hike but not too difficult. Well worth doing and amazing views.

Anyway, have to stop writing. Photos coming. Tomorrow we´re off. Erica leaves for NYC. Lizzy and I are heading to Ecuador. More soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb