The Inca Trail and Macchu Picchu- Days 3 & 4


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
September 18th 2010
Published: September 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we got woken up on day 3 at 6am (a lie in!) to start what was to be an easier day of trekking than the previous 2 days as it was only a few hours in the morning until we got to the camp at lunch where we would be staying until the next day. It was one of the South African sisters birthday this day and amazingly the chef had made not one but two actual birthday cakes! They were so good, god knows how he did that on a mountain though! So we had those for breakfast and we set off slowly as although Vic was now fine Scott was really ill with sickness, bad stomach, headaches and dizzyness. He didn't eat breakfast and we were worried that he wouldn't be able to finish the day.

Anyway we set off and it was 2 hours uphill which was really tough as we thought it was meant to be an easier day! We took our time though and after a gruelling 2 hours up more uneven ground we reached some flat land (Inca flat) by then had an hour walking downhill, again Scott went on ahead as it was easier on his knees and we don't know how he finished it as he was reallt suffering and had already used 2 squat toilets on the way down- both were now out of use! We finally reached a rest point where we had our snacks and got some water and carried on for the final hour downhill before we reached camp for lunch and the night- this took us 2 hours as we went so slowly but we made it eventually to a round of applause from the group and guide.

Our feet were so blistered and sore we didn't think we would be able to get our shoes back on for the final day! Vic had lunch with the group but Scott had to lie down in the tent as he wasn't feeling good at all and missed lunch again. Then we were told we could have hot showers at this camp site and there were proper toilets with seats- neither of us had been so excited for days! Vic went to shower after borrowing some toilettries off the American girls in the group as we forgot ours- it was the best shower in a long time! Then Scott started to feel a bit better after resting so he showered too and the group went with the guide to look at some inca ruins 10 minutes away which were amazing- The Incas were such clever people and all off the things they built had a meaning to them. This ruin was set out like a stadium, with tiered grass and stones to create a semi circle overlooking the forest below.

After returning to camp it was almost time for dinner which again Scott couldn't eat, although he tried to eat some soup he had to go and lie down in the tent. Vic however managed to eat for the 2 of them! We wanted to go to bed as early as possible that night as the next day we were to be up at 3.30am to get to the sungate to start our fianl descent to the famous Macchu Picchu...

On day 4 we were all really excited as this was the day the trek would become worth it as we would be seeing the world famous Macchu Picchu- one of the new seven wonders of the world. We were woken in pitch darkness at 3.30am - to the most amazing star lit sky, to leave at 4.30 and get to the sungate at 5am to enter the final stage of the trek. Scott again wasn't feeling well so we were last of the group to reach the sungate but it was fine as they had saved our place in the queue. The gate opens at 5am daily to let the trekkers through so we went through and started the 2 hour walk to reach Macchu Picchu. The walk was ok at first but then went uphill quite suddenly and we were both thinking we cannot wait to finish this trek now! Towards the end of the walk just before we reached the end, Vic was really struggling with exhaustion and missed a step and went down on her ankle. It wasn't particularly painful but the days had caught up with her and she was emotional so burst into tears had a tantrum and threathened to burn the hiking shoes and walking pole that instant! We then had to climb the famous '52 Gringo Killing Stairs' which were about 1.5ft each and by the end we were virtually on our hands and knees.

After calming down we carried on and within 15 minutes had reached the famous Macchu Picchu. It really was incredible-but we were both so exhausted from the trek, being ill and just not sleeping very much- we probably didn't appreciate it as much straight away as we should have. After a few minutes rest though and realising what we had done and where we were it was a really amazing site. Our guide then gave us a 15 minute rest before he would be taking us through the site and the ruins for the next 2 hours. Scott layed down on one of the grass patches in the shade as he was still not 100% well and Vic went on the tour, but only lasted an hour before she had had enough of seeing so many ruins and went to sit in the shade with Scott until the group had finished the tour. Just before this the group had reached a point high up and had spotted Scott laying down asleep- a huge llama coming towards him ready to jump down from the patch above him! We all held our breath as this llama was on a mission but couldn't see Scott as he was hidden by a wall- luckily it jumped over him rather than on him but narrowly missed him! It was funny for us but not so much for a sleepy Scott.

We then spent some time taking some photos and walking around Machu Picchu appreciating the work the Inca's had done to create this spectacular site.

We then got on a small bus to the nearby town of Agua Calientes (hot water) where we would have our last lunch as a group (Pizza- again none for Scott) before leaving on the train back to Cusco. We wondered round the small town for a while and Scott wanted to try the hot springs that the town are famous for as he was feeling a bit better by then. After paying his £2.50 to enter he was only in them for about 10 minutes as they weren't great before he dryed off and we headed to the train station. The train was quite nice and we had a nice last journey with our group- who we had become good friends with over the 4 days- until the train became infested with mosquitos! We got off the train only to find it had terminated sooner than it should have - things like this happen all the time in South America- and we had to get 2 buses back to Cusco! We were all so tired by this point we tried to sleep on the first bus but then the driver decided to blast out his 80's compilation album- starting with Madonna and Abba! We found the funny side but were really looking forward to getting back to Cusco by then. After being dropped off at the local Mc Donalds (our first one in almost 2 weeks- impressive!) for a quick meal we got back to the hostel and landed a deluxe room- for the same price as a normal room somehow (I think Scott throwing up in reception swung it in our favour) - which was so nice and just what we needed. We showered before crashing out after the most gruelling 4 days of our entire lives!

Overall the trek itself was extremely hard and much more physically and mentally challenging than we were both expecting, and although we struggled and were both ill we are so glad that we finished it and made some great friends. To see Macchu Picchu for real was incredible and we both feel really proud to have finished it- although you couldn't pay us to do it again!

The next 2 days we spent around Cusco chilling out with our friends Mindy and Joel and not doing v much (Scott was getting a bit better by then- we found out after speaking with a doctor he had Salmonella for the last 5 days!) and looking round the local shops. Vic bought an Alpaca cardigan! And we ate in an English pub (pie and mash and sausage and mash followed by apple crumble and custard!) and played Guess Who, which was great!

We then headed to the bus station to get our overnight bus to Copacobana, Bolivia after a great 2 weeks exploring Peru, to see the Bolivian side of the famous huge lake, Lake Titicaca.

Overall we have both loved Peru. It is an incredible country with friendly people which is such good value and so diverse in it's landscape (desert, mountains, coast, forest and jungle) and has been absolutely amazing country to travel though, we've really enjoyed our trip so far.

Next - we start our Bolivian adventure!!

x


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



26th September 2010

wow!!
amazing guys. Well done for going through all that pain- it was so worth it but it must have been hard. You are making us feel really guilty about planning just to chill out on the east coast...i must locate a mountain to hike immediately! :) cxx
8th May 2012

Its like reading my own blog
Hey guys Just started reading your blogs from your first trip. This one was like reading our own blog about the Inca Trail. I don't think you could pay me to do it again either but if I got really fit I would do it again but thats just not going to happen haha. Great stuff. Tina and Rob

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb