Peru - a funny old place


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
October 21st 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Coastal desertscapeCoastal desertscapeCoastal desertscape

In this instance, happily unmodified by rubble and other landfill.
Entering Peru was a bit of a shock after the varied and generally colourful landscapes of Colombia and Ecuador. As soon as we crossed the mountainous border into the north, we dropped down to the coastal desert, which stretches all the way down the country to the West of the Andes. Frankly, it's a bleak, sunblasted and windblown place, the monotony of the endless sand landscapes being livened up only by the frequent piles of landfill at the side of the Pan American Highway, and the occasional semi-ruined shack or building. The towns in this region, which are well off the beaten tourist trail, can best be described as 'real'. No complaints, though; it's all part of the whole 'adventure motorcycling' thing. It's there to be ridden through, so you get the whole experience, warts and all.

We spent four days working our way down through the desert, with the occasional foray up into the Andes, towards the more obvious tourist areas of Nasca and Cusco/Macchu Pichu.

Standout moments:

Huanchaco



So we ride 200 miles through barren, wind lashed desert, and suddenly arrive in a small seaside town, complete with a pier that looks like it's been
Huanchaco PierHuanchaco PierHuanchaco Pier

All together now - 'Every day is like Sunday, everyday is silent and grey...'
transported plank by plank from a medium sized British resort. There's a thick mist rolling in off the Pacific, and coach loads of Peruvian tourists wearing kagools are squinting out to sea. I thought we had taken a wrong turn somewhere, and ended up in Skegness. Possibly the most surreal moment of the whole trip so far.

Nasca lines



Symbols etched into the desert between 300 BC and 700 AD (allegedly) that can only be discerned from above, eg from an aeroplane or spacecraft. Drawn by aliens? Drawn by the Peru tourist board? Drawn by the CIA in an attempt to destabilise the government? Drawn by an ancient civilisation hoping that the gods would send them rain/fertility/plasma tvs? You decide...

Macchu Picchu



'nuff said. However, the fact that we had to approach it on the standard gringo-stuffed backpacker trains/coaches etc reminded us just how lucky we are to be travelling around by motorbike, largely free of the tourist trail, and the attendant sensation of being shepherded around like bloated western cash cows. Most days on the bike, we take the route notes and a map and ride by ourselves, occasionally bumping into other members of the
Canyon del PatoCanyon del PatoCanyon del Pato

60 miles of single track dirt road blasted through a canyon where they planned to build a railway. Then they decided not to bother. Still, nice for us.
group along the road. There's no better way to travel, as you can stop and see whatever takes your fancy along the way, and have snacks in 'proper' local places, where they are always curious about the bike and what we are up to. More or less no English is spoken, so it's great Spanish practice.

More Peru to come over the next few days, before the Chile border.

Nos vemos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Nasca LinesNasca Lines
Nasca Lines

Go up in small aircraft. Take photo of ancient figure that looks like Bod. Feel a bit sick. Land. Job done.
Mummified remains, Chauchilla desert cemeteryMummified remains, Chauchilla desert cemetery
Mummified remains, Chauchilla desert cemetery

Not looking at my best after another night on the Pisco Sours. Could have done without Christine tying me up and dragging me back to the hotel room, though.
Macchu PicchuMacchu Picchu
Macchu Picchu

Turn up. Put on stupid hats. Take photos. Bog off again. Box ticked.


21st October 2009

I agree Peru was not my favourite country... Only like Cuzco really!!!
21st October 2009

Skeggy, sand, mummies & hats
Wonderfully, deeply strange, an "acid trip" segment. And that mummified body *does* have more than the touch of the Bower about it - possibly the hair, possibly the skin tone. I may have to try Photoshopping it onto a bike.
22nd October 2009

Did the brass band play tiddly-om pom pom?
23rd October 2009

Very Good
I hope to one day make a journey like yours. Enjoyed reading this. Ride safe. Alec
31st October 2009

Oh mummy!
Hi guys, good to catch up, Im a bit behind my blog reading (back at work again and in the thick of it- booo...). Great to see you guys looking so chilled and in the swing of the adventure. Max think the mummy look suits you - great job chris. A technique that could be useful in future eh? Johns on the mend, which is fab and says Hi to you both. Take care out there - Joxx

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb