The Lost City of the Incas


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Lost City of the Incas, or Machu Picchu, is one of the most famous archeological sites in the world and the most sought after destination in South America. Nearly one thousand visitors find their way here every day. Discovered in 1911 by North American Hiram Bingham, this mysterious city is nestled in the Andes Mountains miles from any other form of civilization. It is unknown what exactly this city was used for but most historians agree that it was a vital part of the Inca civilization. The great reign of the Incas lasted for merely 100 years but at its height it stretched from the borders of Ecuador to Chile covering an enormous region of Peru. The Incas were overtaken by the Spanish in the 16th century and the Spanish conquistadors destroyed many of the Incan cities.

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to reach Machu Picchu in time for the sunrise. It is an incredible site! The stone walls sit majestically on the mountainside telling a great story of people who lived and died in this remote region. For miles around there is nothing but mountains. I wonder how and why the Incas decided to build their city here. There are pathways and terraces, altars and a central plaza. It truly is magnificient!

I hiked up Wayna Picchu, which is the tall mountain behind Machu Picchu. The climb is straight up and takes about an hour to 90 minutes to climb offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and Urubamba River. I was glad I had spent 2 days in Cuzco adjusting to the altitude. It would have been impossible to climb if I hadnĀ“t acclimated to the altitude.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

I climbed that big mountain on the right (Wayna Picchu).
Coca tea and tomato soupCoca tea and tomato soup
Coca tea and tomato soup

There is nothig like tea and soup to fight off the cold.
Climbing Wayna PicchuClimbing Wayna Picchu
Climbing Wayna Picchu

That's me on the left and Machu Picchu on the right.


6th July 2007

youu look sooo skinny beta...are you not eeatting properlyy!!!...haha
7th July 2007

The first photo "Machu Picchu at Dawn" is absolutely breath-taking. The whole area seems so serene. g-) P.S. I'm glad you're getting to experience all this. :-) Enjoy every moment!
7th July 2007

07-07-07
Mahu Pichu @ dawn is Award winning photo..you have to send it to a contest..today on 07-07-07..the new 07 wonders were announced in Lisbon Machu Pichu is one of them..it sure looks like a wonderful place..lucky you that you saw it and lucky us that we are seeing it thru your eyes....good to see you in the picts..looking good...take care and enjoy your trips...Pummy
8th July 2007

Great Pictures
Hi Jen, Great Machu Picchu pictures, you are looking good too. Very scenic place, good experience, next time I am going with you. Enjoy yourself and do what makes you happy. ILU :)
12th July 2007

Chinese food anyone?
The food in Arequipa is not the best. The options are 1/4 chicken, 1/2 chicken, or whole chicken with fries! :) And there are Chinese restaurants on every corner. But that's about it - chicken or Chinese food. :(

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb