El Camino del Inca / The Inca Trail - Peru 2012


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
November 12th 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today, as any day there after today this week, we had to get up very early. We were to be picked up at 6.30 AM to be taken to KM 82 where the Camino starts. In the bus that drove us to this point we were presented to 2 german ladies (Catarina and Elisabeth) of around 40-45 years. Sour faces to start, as we found out later, because we were about 10 minutes late and left the ladies waiting....

A long drive to get to KM 82. Although the road is very decent, the scenary is depressing. Construction in a great part of Peru is still based on "adobe", i.e. building with bricks made of clay and straw. Since clay in this area is reddish, all houses look dirty and paint is a none existing item, as is glass in a great number of houses. The villages are somewhat better, but the rural areas are, as said, depressing and looking very poor.

After a breakfast stop, we arrive at KM 82 and things started to become more serious. We were introduced to our "crew" consisting of 7 porters, amongst them the cook, and 2 guides; one of each of the agencies: Virgilio (our guide) and Simón (the ladies' guide). We needed that number of porters since everything has to be carried from camping place to camping place. That is, tents, cooking gear, food, back packs of those that have decided not to carry their own gear (the two ladies and I), chairs, and you name it.

The first day is relatively easy and light and starts basically after 12.00 and last for a couple of hours and covers about 9 km. Most of it flat and at a reasonable altitud (3000 m approx.). On the way we visit Inca ruins by the name of Patallacta. Our first camp is at another place with an unpronouncable name: Huayllabamba.

Camp sites are assigned to a trekking group from the moment they enter the Camino depending on the size of the group. In general the trail as of KM 82 is very well administered and rules are established and enforced (by the tour guides). A point of interest, in order to protect the porters from "overcarrying", i.e. carry to much weight, there is a check point at the start of the Camino, where all porters have to weigh their cargo. The weight limit for a porter is 25 kg plus 5 kg personal belongings. For someone like me, 25 kg would be impossible to carry, but, they, young and old do, and apparently without difficulties. They pass you with their weight going up and coming down.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.1kb