Investigating the Incas


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
May 22nd 2016
Published: May 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning we explored Cusco, visiting two of the markets but not buying anything just yet. While in Lima we had found a park full of feral cats lying in the sun, in Cusco it was dogs all dozing peacefully.

We ended up in one of the big squares fronted by the cathedral and another large church. The square was full of noise and people, including an army band and troops lined up on parade. We learnt later that this is the run up to big celebrations for Corpus Christie. The image of our lady was paraded around the squares along with various dancing troops.

In another square hundreds of school children all in their uniforms were having a noisy time. Fire crackers went off overhead and a food festival was delivering enticing smells. For lunch we found a small first floor cafe with a narrow balcony over the largest square affording an ideal spot for people watching.

In the afternoon we were given a guided tour of Inca sites. I had marvelled at the scale and beauty of Inca walls in photographs but at the temple at Saqsaywaman I saw them up close for the first time. We also went to the fortress at Puca Pucara, Tambomachay and the cave at Q'enqo where sacrifices were made.

We finished up at the royal palace of Koriccancha which has a Catholic Church built on top it. Major parts of the church have had to be rebuilt following earthquakes but the Inca wall is still in place without the benefit of any mortar.

Tonight we had a briefing for our Inca Trail expedition which starts on Wednesday. It sounds intimidating with lots of very early starts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb