charity work


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
March 1st 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Okay so i started my charity work 3 weeks ago but have been way too busy to get round to updating the blog, so here is a brief summary of what i have been upto here in cuzco:

Firstly there are 12 of us aged between 17 and 24, 4 boys and 8 girls all from the UK other than one of the boys who is from the states. We are working in a boys orphanage located pretty near the centre of Cuzco (about 10 mins walk from the centre) that takes kids from ages 4 to 16, there are 25 of them. The work that we av been set is to renovate 3 bathrooms, putting in toilets, showers and hot water, and to completely re-do a massive games room (plastering, painting and designing the interior) it does'nt sound like that much but with only 12 people and 5 weeks we have our work cut out - it doesnt help tht none of us ave building experience either and only have one part time trained builder helping us.

Cuzco itself is an amazing place, full of awesome architecture and Inca ruins, and situated amongst massive green rolling hills. Not only is Cuzco a beautifull place it also as some of the best night life and places to eat that i have ever been - inclusing the amazing greens that is possibly the best place to eat in the world !

As i said above we are now 3 weeks through the project, highlights so far include many many amazing nights out where we are mainly drinking for free as all th clubs and bars give us at least 1 free drink to entice our party in, then we just move onto the next place. We have eaten some of the best food i have ever had in the nuerous (but mainly Greens) amazing restauraunts around, and also made some really good friends.

We have also ventutred out of cuzco on the weekends to the sorounding area which is incredibly beautifull, i dont have time to upload the photos at the moment, but the sacred valley around cuzco is staggeringly spectacular.
For our mid project break (4 days in total) we traveled 12 hours away by coach to the Manu national park and stayed in both cloud forest and jungle, which again was amazing, both in the scenery and the activities that we did, inlcuding zip lining through the jungle, river boarding down a very very fast flowing river slowlen due to rain and white water rafting, i will upload the photos and write more about all this stuff soon, but i thought there was a small chance people were wondering what i was upto.

tom



Advertisement



1st March 2006

Zip lining
Of course we're all wondering what you're up to! Glad to hear that the jungle trip was good - my aunt and uncle did zip lining in Ecuador and it sounds awesome. I posted your birthday present yesterday so hopefully you'll get it on time. Speak to you soon. Al xx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb