Last days in Cuzco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Watch out CuzcoWatch out CuzcoWatch out Cuzco

A new King is in town....
The day after arriving back from our trek we slept in and missed our hotel breakfast. Bummer. This left us no other choice but to go down a couple blocks to Jack's Cafe, a local watering hole famous for their breakfasts. Chris had the pancakes (which were huge!) and Sarah had the "El Gordo", which for those of you who don't habla Espanol is Spanish for "The fat one". We spent the day lazily wandering the city, souvenir shopping and taking it easy. Our legs were definitely thanking us after the previous four days. We went back to Pacha Papa restaurant for dinner where Sarah had the vegetarian pizza and Chris tried alpaca and chicha jora which is a local corn beer. (Ed. note: The alpaca was delicious - if you ever get a chance to eat it, it is like the best steak ever.)

The next day we had several hours to kill before catching our afternoon plane out so we stopped by the natural history museum. We weren't sure what to expect, but we definitely got our 2 soles worth: we saw a number of fascinating specimens, including a siamese guinea pig, a two-headed deer, and a 6-legged baby alpaca. Tell me, where could you get all that for just 60 cents in the USA? We were running out of things to do and even the street vendors seemed tired of us so we decided to stop at Jack's Cafe again for some hot chocolate. When Sarah got up to go to the bathroom, she came back and whispered to Chris that she thought Cameron Diaz was sitting right behind him. He was not certain, but after going to the bathroom to see for himself he was more convinced. The deal was sealed when all of the waitresses started calling her Fiona (from her voice in Shrek) and taking pictures. So, we pretty much met Cameron Diaz. Which is cool.

After going back to the hotel and catching a cab to the airport, we met up with Heidi and Duncan who were on the same flight out of Cuzco. We got to repay the beers for them in Lima during our layover which was a lot of fun. Then it was back to New York, and one last fight with the airlines about catching our flight to Charlotte. It seemed almost poetic in the symmetry: a
Classic FamilyClassic FamilyClassic Family

Notice the one kid trying to sell us finger puppets and the baby is gulping an Inka Cola.
fight with airlines to leave, and a fight to come back. However, all's well that ends well, and we arrived home in Charlotte with all of our bags and a lot of great memories. Thus begins the planning for the next great adventure.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

This Monkey has a creepy smileThis Monkey has a creepy smile
This Monkey has a creepy smile

At the Natural History Museum
Chris drinking Chicha JoraChris drinking Chicha Jora
Chris drinking Chicha Jora

This is a new type of beer that he tried at Pacha Papa
SlothSloth
Sloth

At the Natural History Museum
Two Headed Llama Two Headed Llama
Two Headed Llama

At the Natural History Museum in Cuzco
Siamese CuySiamese Cuy
Siamese Cuy

(AKA guinnea pig) @ the Natural History Museum in Cuzco
6-legged Llama6-legged Llama
6-legged Llama

At the Natural History Museum. You should be able to count them in this picture....
Random MuleRandom Mule
Random Mule

This mule was just walking around downtown Cuzco with no apparent owner.
Jacks CafeJacks Cafe
Jacks Cafe

This is where we sat next to Cameron Diaz this morning at breakfast
Classic Cuzco MomClassic Cuzco Mom
Classic Cuzco Mom

You will see women carrying children in these make-shift slings all over town. Sure beats strollers.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb