Cusco, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 15th 2018
Published: May 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Machu Picchu to Cusco, Peru


Fresh off a trip to Machu Picchu, my travel companions and I decide to go out and explore Cusco. We were here briefly before we spent the day in Machu Picchu, but we really didn't get to take in the city and surrounding area. Now is our time. We make our way to Sacsayhuamán, a beautiful old site that looks like an archeological dig, and we walk around. We walk up and down these rock walls and just explore to the best of our abilities. The best known zone of Sacsayhuamán includes its great plaza and its adjacent three massive terrace walls. The stones used in the construction of these terraces are among the largest used in any building in pre-Hispanic America. They display a precision of cutting and fitting that is unmatched in the Americas. The stones are so closely spaced that a single piece of paper will not fit between many of the stones. This precision, combined with the rounded corners of the blocks, the variety of their interlocking shapes, and the way the walls lean inward, is thought to have helped the ruins survive devastating earthquakes in Cusco. There were many beautiful sights other than this, and when we got up high enough to see over the valley, the view was amazing.

We saw two alpacas fighting with each other, and they were quite loud, but it was funny as they chased each other. There are several differences between an alpaca and a llama. Their ears: Alpaca ears have short spear-shaped ears while llamas have much longer, banana-shaped ears. Their size: Alpacas generally weigh in at around 150 pounds while llamas can get as heavy as 400 pounds. At the shoulder, an average alpaca stands between 34 and 36 inches, while a llama generally ranges between 42 and 46 inches. Their faces: Llamas have a longer face; an alpaca’s face is a bit more blunt, giving them a “smooshed in” look. Their purpose: For more than 5,000 years alpacas have been bred for fiber (and in Peru for meat as well), while llamas have been bred for the same amount of time as pack animals and meat. Their hair: The alpaca produces a much finer fiber than the llama. The alpaca also produces more fleece than its larger cousin and in a much greater variety of colors. Llamas also generally do not have as much hair on their head and face as alpacas do. Their dispositions: Alpacas are very much herd animals, while llamas are more independent minded. Alpacas also tend to be a bit more skittish than llamas, which are often used as guard animals for alpacas, sheep, and other small livestock. Enough of the history. Just know this place was very beautiful, and I am thankful we went there to explore. We also went into a little museum which had many artifacts of the Inca's as well as how things used to be in this area. On our way back, we stopped at a little factory that made articles out of the alpaca and llama wool. I purchased some socks there made from the wool. Another full day. Time to go back.

We all get rested and cleaned up, and then we proceed to go out into the city center to walk around. Many street vendors were out selling their arts, crafts, toys, etc. Some of the stuff I saw was unique, and the vendors appeared to put a lot of work into their craft. After looking around and taking many photos, we go out to have a meal. We decided between the three of us we wanted to try the local cuisine; a local delight. We had already had Alpaca meat on a skewer, which was mighty tasty, but now we wanted something different...Cuy (guinea pig). Now Cuy is a delicacy in Peru. Livestock breeds of the guinea pig play an important role in folk culture for many indigenous Andean peoples, especially as a food source. The animals are also used in folk medicine and in community religious ceremonies. They are raised for their meat and are a culinary staple in the Andes Mountains. From what I was told, in the 1960s a modern breeding program was started in Peru that resulted in large breeds known as cuy mejorados (improved cuy). Marketers tried to increase consumption of the animal outside South America. Not so sure it would be a hit in the United States, but who knows. Anyway, the wait at the restaurant we went too was quite long, but finally we get in and seated. We placed our order, and when the waiter brought out my food, you could tell exactly what it was. They first bring you out a big platter, for I guess photos, which has the cooked guinea pig, but when you get your real plate, it looks a little different. I just had to blank everything out and start to eat. I must say, it wasn't so bad. A little greasy, and you did have to work at it to get the meat. What am I thinking? Ha! Anyway, we three were happy we partook in this cuisine. We toast each other for partaking in this delicacy, and we leave the restaurant satisfied with our meal.

We proceed to walk around a bit more, and as we knew we had to get back to Lima the next day, we go in for a good nights rest. From my perspective, Cusco was an inviting city, and I am thankful I was able to visit. Little saddened my trip is close to being over, but happy I was able to enjoy this adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 135, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb