Off to Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
April 28th 2014
Published: May 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


(I've embedded a number of websites...right click on web address and select "Open Link in New Tab")

I was scheduled to depart 5:30pm arriving in Lima at 11:30pm, think it is central time. Sitting in the airport, I cannot get my head around the fact that a casual conversation over beer and lunch, on Phil's deck, has resulted in a trip of a life time. A big thanks to Phil for all the efforts to put a conversation into action. Also a big thanks to Lydia, my daughter, for taking on the responsibilities of taking care of my granddaughter Adelyn, not to mention the Wood Ducklings. And, of course, Ruth, who has supported and put up with me for 41 years. (If you are reading this sentence, just be aware that the blog entries for Peru are still a work in progress.)

We landed on time, airport easy to negotiate, got my luggage, saw Phil and the sign of the guy coming to meet us...pretty smooth. Then we drove forever. Could not understand it as it was after midnight and we were to be picked up at 6:30am for our flight to Cusco. We later realized that there really are no "safe" places to stay close to the airport. The Residential B&B in Miraflores was a nice place, set my Kindle alarm and off to sleep.

Our ride was on time at 6:30am, B&B would not serve anything until 7;30. So it was an airport breakfast. Thru the airport and trip to Cusco was uneventful. LlamaPath met us just as planned and delivered us to the hotel. (btw - great hotel http://www.hotelcahuide-cusco.com) We are avoiding alcohol and caffeine, chewing coca leaves, drinking coca tea and taking Diamox...not sure which is working, but we feel great. I have a dinner of grilled Alpaca at a cafe recommended by hotel staff.

Phil had explored the neighborhood and walked across the street and met a tour guide. So we went over to discuss the possibilities for our days in Cusco, "acclimating." We really liked his enthusiasm and pride in his country and culture, so we signed up for two days of traveling with him ...starts bright and early in the morning. (Javier and Marlene have a hostal across the street, in addition to Javier conducting tours http://www.hostalpalacioreal.com/#!/pageSplash )

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb