MachuPicchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Checking in from Cusco, having moved from the Sacred Valley through MachuPicchu (MP) over the past two days.

One highlight was the train journey from Ollantaytambo to MP. Through the deepest of valleys, we passed rocky ranges , snow packed peaks, Inca ruins and finally rainforest before arriving at Aguas Callientes Village - at the foot of MP. Lovely 5 star hotel there with great food to boot. Finally a zigzag bus trip up the mountain to the citadel at MP.

First sight and entry was an eerie feeling - one of expectation on what we were about to see and to find out, and also the revelation that there remain many unanswered questions in relation to this place.

Our first day there was a magnificent day - sunny and great for photos. We had a full day escorted tour and our guide seemed excellent with great subject knowledge. Great buffet lunch was included and the main course was suckling pig! We left just as a thunder storm was breaking and we were halfway back down the mountain before it rained. Happy Hour at our hotel included bottomless Pisco sours and after two of these monsters, one feels no pain! Great meal and night’s sleep in our chalet style hotel built in an orchid garden. Amusingly the main restaurant is built between two lines in a shunting yard for the nearby station. While a bit noisy at times, this was a real highlight. Lots of fun.

On the second day, we went up to MP before the crowds and Chris Pete and I - along with another guy on the trip - Richard from Sydney, walked up to the ‘sun gate’, to get a birds eye perspective of MP. We had to wait around 30 minutes for the morning mist to lift, but when it did, it provided a fantastic vista. While we are happy with the photos, they don’t do justice to the actual sight and feeling. Train and bus trip later, and we arrived at Cusco mid evening. Pizza and beer at a local café and prepare for tomorrow.

Will check back later as we are here for 3 days and have wifi access in the room.

Until then, Ian



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



14th October 2008

Well I have to say you are looking quite relaxed and becoming part of the scenery. The photos are great and tell an awesome story. Macchu Piccu is a wonderful looking place, I am sure you will enjoy every moment you spend there. John

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb