Convalescing in Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
December 1st 2007
Published: December 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Back in Cusco
The next couple of days we didn´t do an awful lot because we were both suffering so much with the persistent flu. The lady manager in Jack´s Cafe had said it was doing the rounds in Cusco and she´d suffered for almost a month with a similar sounding virus! Great news! We shopped and ate lightly, meeting Ricardo and Margarita for evening meals, before they disappeared down to Puno on the bus, to visit Lake Titicaca. We visited Fallen Angel, a trendy restaurant in Cusco for our farewell meal. The steak was yummy although Jase moaned because they wouldn´t give him a dish of icecream for dessert, they only had fancy puddings! We had a couple of extra days in Cusco and planned to meet them in Puno on the Wednesday evening.

Inka Museum
When we were feeling more lively, we visited the Inka Museum in Cusco, which we found very interesting. They were an astounding number of ceramic samples from ancient tribes living in the surrounding areas and it was interesting to learn about Inka culture and the Quechua people. We giggled when we bumped into the Turkish lady from the trek, after learning of her amour for Margarita!

The Cathedral
We decided to have a wander around the huge cathedral in Cusco. It was like three churches joined together and very impressive with the usual exuberant use of gold leaf everywhere.

Inka Temple
We visited quachino in the Santa Domingo area of the city. This Dominican Monastery had been built on the site of the main Inka temple, which originally housed the most precious gold statues, apparently melted down by the greedy Spaniards. The site is now a combination of Inka and Colonial architecture and was very interesting. There was a bizarre exhibition by an artist called Patsy who had created a number of paintings and a sculpture, depicting a number of sinister looking goth style dolls with bleeding eyes, in various torturous positions! We escaped the horror to the tranquility of the sunny garden full of fushcias and the buzz of big bumble bees. We overlooked the park in Santa Domingo, smiling at the amusing schoolchildren enjoying themselves in the sunshine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Dinner TableThe Dinner Table
The Dinner Table

yep it´s a bath tub full of fishies!


13th January 2008

Beware of artists called Patsy
Patsy is probably a serial killer - possibly from a childhood where her parents gave her a clown one year and china doll the next, EVERY Christmas. Scary artist. I have to add that the dinner table reminds me of a decomosing body - with goldfish - seriously freaky.

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb