agua Calientes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
November 23rd 2016
Published: November 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Woo hoo tomorrow we will be going to Machu Pichu !

I enjoyed our time in Cusco . The plaza and the monstrous buildings are a sight to behold . The Spanish continued the process of destroying the culture of the Incas in grand style . The churches are by and large built on the sites of the Inca temples often using the fountain and the stone quarried by the Incas.. They had come to realize that the construction used was earthquake proof . The Incas had dug down into the rock @ 6 feet and filled it with small rocks and sand . This acted as a cushion that could absorb the shock waves of a quake. Mind you it also helped that the stones they used weighed a massive amount . Tons in some cases and they were actually fitted together without the use of mortar. THEY knew how to build . MANY OF THE RUINS WE HAVE SEEN WERE BUILT NEAR THE QUARRIES SO THAT THE DISTANCE THEY HAD TO MOVE THE ROCK WASN{T insurmountable.In Oliantanbo yesterday we heard about a project that the town{s people had completed the year before . They had quarried the rock using the time honoured process of inserting wood into the natural fissures , soaking them , and letting nature take over. I am not sure how they finished the rock but do know they used the shape nature provided . In Cusco we saw one rock which had 16 sides. Anyway the project then used 100 men to move the rock quarried to the temple site . It took 3 months ! Labour intensive it was .

I must sign off for now and find some lunch .

Hope all is well .

Advertisement



24th November 2016

VERY INTERESTING
STRANGE THAT WE WERE TAUGHT NOTHING ABOUT THIS?
24th November 2016

I agree ,. We were only taught about the English and the French colonialists and their: "accomplishments " ...and , at that , they never taught us of the horrendous things they did to the indigenous people . The Spanish are NOT viewed with any admiration here.
24th November 2016

Excitement Builds
Anticipation of good things to come is a great buzz. Sounds as though you are having a very wonderful time,seeing and learning lots. The purpose of travel!,, Enjoy Machu Pichu. Mo
25th November 2016

REPEAT
HELLO AGAIN, I GOT THIS MESSAGE TWICE. IT'S A GOOD ONE BUT I'M WONDERING IF I'M STILL HAVING PORBLEMS WITH THIS NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT. ANYWAY BE SAFE ENJOY LOVE ROGER
25th November 2016

Pam I am envious of you. Machu Pichu!?! I can hardly wait to hear your report!!! Take care and enjoy. P.S. I hope I get to see your pictures.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.5kb