Aguas Caliente


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
August 15th 2006
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day of travel, relaxation and preparation for Macchu Pichu. Aguas Calientes is the town only minutes from MP, and it´s purpose is purely tourism. Apparently during tourist season, the town is 90% tourists and only 10% locals.

After the four hour train ride from Cuzco, we were greeted by a women with a sign for our hostel and our names (Lizzy´s last name had apparently changed from London to Condor, but no es importante). By the way, the hostel Ima Sumar or something like that was probably the only one we´ve stayed in so far that we really don´t recommend. Our room was right on the street (no, literally right on the street, separated by the cheapest of windows), there were spiders and other jolly creatures and the shower sucked.

The town is small, and the only thing to do is go to the hot springs from which the town´s name is derived. The springs are surprisingly relaxing, although the water is rather murky. We enjoyed it for about an hour and that was about it.

Then we found a place that served burgers, fries and a coke for $2 (there are many that have deals like this, but this one had a nice deck) sat and relaxed for the afternoon. Food everywhere in Peru so far has been super cheap (a good dinner is $5 or 6, better than $8 SF sandwiches). One tip. Whereever you go ask for "El menu", which surprisingly is different from the menu. El menu is the set menu, and tends to be even cheaper... we had dinner at a very nice Mexican restaurant that played good 80s music, for $5 including a (small) glass of wine.

Then to bed in preparation for our big day at Macchu Pichu.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb