Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
June 21st 2011
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Many people always are amazed at how I travel alone. Well, I'm never truly alone, because I'm always meeting people along the journey. The kind of people that are fascinating to talk with. One's I'd actually want to hang out with back home.

I met several such people on this two day tour of Colca Canyon, which by the way, is two times deeper than the Grand Canyon.

First, there was the British Lady, Sue, that was also traveling alone. She had recently lost her mother and was spending her little inheritance on a trip to Peru. At the end of her trip she was going to volunteer at an agency that helps Peruvian street children. What fascinates me the most about Sue, is that she DOES NOT eat vegetables. I mean, to the extent that she was constantly asking, in her cute British way, "Does it have veggies?" I mean not even tomatoes, onions, or avocadoes, as in salsa and guacamole!

There was also the Brazilian couple on holiday. She was a bit famous back in Sao Paulo, as a television reporter. He worked as her "boss", the editor. They have been together four years, and perhaps on this holiday would get engaged.

There was the hilarious lesbian couple from Spain. You know a great person when early in the the morning, a person gets on an already full tourist bus, and says to all very enthusiastically: "Buen Dia". Later on, when we really got to know the couple, they performed karaoke Spanish songs with the tour guide's microphone.

Oh, and the canyon was fabulous. Welcome to altitude of 4000+ meters. (you do the math). We saw over 25 condors, and also an enthusiastic ensemble of Peruvian pipe players. Full and complete tour. Oh, and tons of Llamas, Alpacas, and the elusive Vicunas along the way. Had alpaca meat for dinner--tastes like mild lamb.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CondorsCondors
Condors

Up close they are quite ugly birds.
Llama gas.Llama gas.
Llama gas.

Peru's answer to global warming.
Cactus fences.Cactus fences.
Cactus fences.

Cheaper than barbed wire!
Mmmmm.Mmmmm.
Mmmmm.

Alpaca head stew.
Look closely.Look closely.
Look closely.

What cracks me up is the Alpaca in the crowd also watching the tv.
Okay, okay.Okay, okay.
Okay, okay.

I'm in Peru, gotta see the pipe players.
Lady, what kind of dance is this?Lady, what kind of dance is this?
Lady, what kind of dance is this?

I called it Peruvian porn.
VicunaVicuna
Vicuna

So protected, if you are caught keeping one, you go to prison!
Offerings.Offerings.
Offerings.

When you see stacked rocks, it's offerings to God to keep them volcanoes happy.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb