Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
March 11th 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Arequipa by nightArequipa by nightArequipa by night

taken from our hostel balcony. the lights are ALL Daewoo Tico taxis... (like smart cars but smaller)
Just got back from 2 days in the Colca Canyon and thought we´d give a quick update before we head to Puno (for Lake Titicaca) on Monday 13th.

We got picked up from our hostel on Friday morning (happy birthday dad!) and squeezed into a Minivan for the long, bumpy and erraticly driven ride to the Colca Canyon from Arequipa.

We´ve mentioned before but Arequipa is about 2500m asl, winding in itself, but we travelled north and ´up´ a further 100 or so miles (and about 2000m vertically) on a mostly unpaved road winding its way between the volcanos and snow-covered mountains....

On the way we stopped for some coca tea (made with real coca leaves no less) which is supposed to help the altitude sickness.

Saw plenty of Llamas, Alpacas (like Llamas but smaller) aswell as loads of locals trying to sell us knitwear etc...

We arrived in ´Chivay´the town at the head of the Colca Valley at about 3pm where we had a cheap dinner (having decided to sack off the guide´s choice of eaterie - touristy, overpriced and doubtless on a comission!) In the evening we went to some hot springs at the
Arequipa by morningArequipa by morningArequipa by morning

This is the same view but in the morning. In the background is the 6000m Misti (´the lord´) Volcano
bottom of the valley which was quite relaxing. Hot water emerges naturally and is not filtered so pools smell of eggs and salt.... (good cover-up for the bad ar*es!)

This morning we got up at 0530 and got back in the truck destined for the top of the canyon in the hope of catching sight of some Condors. Although we didn´t see any when we got to the viewpoint, the view itself was worth the 10+ hours in the truck! However we were lucky enough to see one on the way back to Arequipa tonight.

As always the photos should explain it better than we can....

TTFN xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Coca TeaCoca Tea
Coca Tea

On the way up to the Altiplato we drank Coca tea for the altitude sickness. Tastes like spinach but is quite drinkable (cant decide if it´s effects are placebo or not.)
Llamas & AlpacasLlamas & Alpacas
Llamas & Alpacas

At about 3500m we come across a pen of llamas and apalcas (and some very drunk / high farmers)
Llama FarmerLlama Farmer
Llama Farmer

The guy offered to catch us a Llama for 1 sol (20p). The bulge in his cheek is a load of coca leaves (probably with the ash catalyst needed for the ´real´ coca kick) He had been drinking as well. (we arrived at about 10am!)
ViewpointViewpoint
Viewpoint

At 4850m asl we stopped at a viewpoint. In the distance is the ´Pichu Pichu´ volcano. Nothing can grow at that altitude so it´s like the surface of the moon.
When you wish upon a (rock)When you wish upon a (rock)
When you wish upon a (rock)

It is tradition to make a stack of rocks and then make a wish. It was breathless work collecting the stones as it is quite hard to breathe at nearly 15000 ft!
UsUs
Us

Here we are on the surface of the moon. In the background more volcanos and a little pond. You can see the hundreds of ´wish towers´that people have built.
Niña con LlamaNiña con Llama
Niña con Llama

On the way down to ´Chivay´(at the end of the colca canyon) we stopped for another ´Kodak moment.´ Met these two darlings eager to have their pics taken (and sell us some jumpers/bracelets/wallets etc)
ChivayChivay
Chivay

We arrived at Chivay which was our base for the night. Not exactly a metropolis but we found beer and food! Chris bought alpaca-wool socks and gloves for about 2 quid.
Folkloric DancingFolkloric Dancing
Folkloric Dancing

The ´girls´ in the pink hats are actually boys in dresses. They all wear sandals made from cut up car tyres. This village was on the way into the Colca Canyon.
Early morning mistEarly morning mist
Early morning mist

When we arrived at this village in the morning, the mist was hanging in the valley (we were at about 3500m and above the clouds.)
DonkeysDonkeys
Donkeys

still on the way into the Canyon we passed another village... (K&A - Pone!)
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Apparently it´s the world´s deepest canyon at 4000m deep in places. The sides have been ´stepped´ and farmers grow different crops depending on the altitude.
Cruz Del CondorCruz Del Condor
Cruz Del Condor

The viewpoint at the height of the Canyon was amazing. The river below was a distant babble and the clouds covered us within minutes, then it would be clear again.
Travel FriendsTravel Friends
Travel Friends

We met this group who were also on the tour.
CondorCondor
Condor

Finally we spotted a Condor which looked pretty menacing circling above. They feed on the meat of dead donkeys and cows etc and they have a wingspan of something like 3m....


13th March 2006

great photos really looks as though you are enjoying yourselves. Not missing Brum eh! keep the photos coming. lots of love mom xxxxx
13th March 2006

condor
great pictures of the condor u both r really good at capturing great images very impressed. mom xx

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb