Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
December 29th 2004
Published: February 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bus: Chivay to Arequipa
Hotel: Sonesta Posada del Inca Arequipa (Arequipa, Peru) $41

An early rise this morning at 5 am for the 2 hr drive to the Cruz del Condor overlook. The scenery was just incredible that morning, the light was perfect on the villages and terraced slopes that we passed by. Along the way, our guide described many of the local plants the Incas used for food and medicine. Traditionally there were two tribes that lived in the Colca area; in pre-colonial times they used to bind their skulls differently so they could be easily identified. One tribe would bind their skulls into a cone shape, the others would shape theirs with a flat top like Frankenstein. The Spanish put a stop to this, so now the tribes have taken to wearing white or black hats! We arrived at the Condor overlook on the lip of the Colca Canyon itself, and walked a mile or so keeping our eyes peeled for condors. We did spot one, but it was so high up as to only be a speck in the sky. We returned to Chivay in time for lunch. There was some kind of political rally going on at the time, there was a huge crowd gathered in the plaza, with a stage and loudspeakers setup. Apparently, it was one of the political parties that noone liked! Then back on the bus for the long ride back to Arequipa. We had met a trio of Swedish girls on our tour bus, they were heading onto Cuzco that very night, a 15 hr bus ride after being on a bus all day. Two nights really would have been better in the canyon, it's a fascinating place, and deserves more time spent there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 24; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb