A Condor Moment


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having arrived in Arequipa ( a nice change to be only 2300m ASL), it was straight off on a tour to the Colca Canyon - now believed to be the deepest canyon in the world. We drove out across the mountains, passing various sights on our way to a small town called Chivay which would be our base for the next couple of days.
The hostel that I was staying in had some interesting residents - I had a herd of sheep for company outside my room!

We spent a couple of hours in some hot springs just outside Chivay, which was a nice bit of relaxation, just looking up into the mountains!

We went to an Irish bar in the evening for a drink, where the only Irish thing about it was a guiness sign ,and very expensive bottles of Guiness - but not one Irishman in sight!!


On the second day we went up to see the colca canyon, and also to see if we could see any condors flying. When we first got there, there was not a condor to be seen - and we were all thinking - we've been duped again!!. Then out of nowhere it seemed, one, then two, then half a dozen condors seemed to appear gliding in from nowhere, swooping past our observation point. It was quite a sight,but difficult to catch on camera - and then to top it all off, the batteries in my camera died,so I didn't manage to get that many pics ( or at least any decent ones!)

We had some traditional Peruvian food ( I've still yet to have guinea pig - it was off the menu - but I've had some Llama and Ostrich - which both taste like beef by the way!) whilst we we in Chivay, although it was a bit too much of a touristy set up for me, as the places we ate didn't have a local in sight - apart from the owners, and the guys constantly playing the panpipes!

Since arriving back in Arequipa, it's been a bit of a struggle to get buses out. I am now staying here until Wednesday evening , when I will be travelling up to Lima. Although on Wednesday there is a national strike, and we have been advised not to leave our hotels during the day!!

The only other thing of note was being woken up at 4am Tuesday morning with this rumbling sound, and the room shaking quite violently for a minute or so - I guess this is my first encounter with an earthquake!! - It all seemed a bit surreal at the time - being half asleep!! - See below report from AFP. :-

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A strong earthquake measuring 6.0 on the moment magnitude scale struck southern Peru near Arequipa early Tuesday, the US Geological Survey reported.The quake struck at a depth of 74 kilometers (46 miles) in a mountainous region 53 kilometers (33 miles) north-northwest of Arequipa and 721 kilometers (448 miles) southeast of Lima, the USGS said.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View into Colca CanyonView into Colca Canyon
View into Colca Canyon

That bit is only 1300m or so. The deepest is nearly 4000m


8th July 2008

Pipes and Rumblings
Hey Trev, never knew a Condor moment was synonymous with Pan Pipes - always thought it was something to do with that briar pipe that was a permanent fixture in my old fellahs chops for so many years! Rumblings - must be that Llama pie you had (You know that Jane will kill you for that, by the way!) that caused the early morning tremors that woke you up. What a cover up for a good bout of flatulence!! Best go before I get the bird - or encounter another of youth smorer anagrams!!
13th July 2008

Condor
Hi Trev, Glad you are continuing to enjoy your adventures in South America. The pictures are all fantastic. I liked your views and the Condors. The same old weather her. Rain, rain,rain. Not a good summer. You are not missing anything!!!!!! Continue to enjoy your South American experience. Best wishes fro Eddie and Brenda Maggs

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb