Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
July 7th 2021
Published: July 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com

Coporaque Village

The tiny village of Coporaque is a great way to take in the stunning region & enjoy glorious views of the distant volcanoes, including the active Sabancaya which spews ash into the sky, gorgeous terrace views, flowering cacti, and crumbling stone ruins. We walked through pastures, visited the church which was badly damaged in the 2016 earthquake.

This is a small town located on the right side of the Colca River, in the Western part of Chivay (Capital of the Colca Canyon), it has 900 inhabitants, it is located at 3583 meters above sea level, most of the inhabitants they are still cultivating their land following the knowledge of their ancestors and they are still wearing their typical costums.

The temple of Santiago Apóstol de Coporaque, is a Catholic construction, which is located in the Colca Valley, specifically, in the district of Coporaque, in the province of Caylloma in Arequipa. That is, due to the different historical records that have been found in this regard, the oldest Catholic construction found in this valley.

As the tour finished we could see the Sabancaya Volcano erupting.

Next we visited Colca Canyon,

A land
where Andean condors soar the skies of one the world’s deepest red-hued canyons, Colca is one of Peru’s most beautiful regions with rugged and dramatic scenery. A place of immense history, the Incas originally conquered Colca in the mid-15th Century and the Spanish subsequently conquered the region in 1540.



On our virtual tour we were not lucky enough to see any Condor but the views were simply stunning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement












Tot: 0.591s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb