Lima to Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
May 18th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having to do blogs more often at the moment as seeing so many things and travelling so much so better to do more often and shorter, lots of pickies and i cut back from original amount!


We set off from Lima at 0430, with three new Gappers Charlie, Mike and Sarah.


We headed down the west coast of Peru through the second most driest place on earth towards Huacachina, an oasis in the desert surrounded by sand dunes.


On the way we visited the Balleras Islands, similar to the Gallapagas islands with many birds, penguins and sealions.


We went around the island in a speedboat which stopped close to the rocky shore so we could see the wildlife and smell the bird pooh!



When we arrived at the hotel in the oasis we had the opportunity to go sandboarding however as I had other injuries still recovering and was only for an hour.


So I decided to chill at the oasis with a few others.
We only stayed one night pitching our tents by the pool!


We left at nine, a lay in lol and set off to Nazca arriving around lunchtime camping again, however some upgraded to a room for 10 bucks but the die hards camped.



After lunch we were picked up and taken to the airport so we could take a flight over the nazca lines for 75 bucks, a few opted out being scared of flying in little planes!.


The Nazca lines were made 2000 years ago by the indigenous Nazcas removing the surface volcanic rock, over 1000 shapes and lines are visible throughout the desert and still visible due to the climate being so dry and hot.


The amazing thing other than how well preserved the Nazca lines are was how straight the lines are and how good the patterns and shapes are, obviously good mathematicians.


Some believe the symbols were used to mark underground water, irrigation lines or symbols to the gods, whatever for they were very impressive from the sky.


We did stop in the truck on the way to the hotel to where there is a tower you can climb to see two of the shapes, but not as clear as in the plane.


The flight lasted for about 40 mins in a six seater plane flying at 2500 feet, the pilot would circle and bank the plane bothways so we could all get pictures of the main shapes.


When back at the hotel the drivers cooked us dinner off to bed (tent) then up in the morning travelling down the coast to Puerta Inca (Port of the Incas).


Before we left the Nazca area we stopped to see how pottery was made in the area and also visited a desert cemetery where mummified bodies were on display.


The mummified bodies would be put in a sitting or phoetal position facing east covered with textiles and with pottery etc pretty eerie!


The 700 years old + mummies were well preserved again due to the weather conditions, but at some time grave diggers had dug up looking for gold and textiles, think the spaniards.



When we arrived at the hotel at Puerta Inca we set up camp on the beach, it was a very remote location with nothing around other than the hotel and rocks with no trees or plants or animals other than some seabirds.


The port had been used by the Incas and also the Spaniards when they conquered the Incas in Peru being a natural deep harbour, the only one in the area so a historical location for Peru.


We had a game of five a side with some of the workers from the hotel and then had a barbecue (steak and a fantastic sausage) on the beach and a bonfire before trying to sleep in the tent with the sound of the surf crashing in on the beach.


Next day we set off to Arequipa the second most importatnt city in Peru after Lima 2300 metres above sea level, an 8 hour journey but of course stopping for lunch, we seem to eat a lot on this trip!



We travelled again through some amazing landcsapes of desert and mountains and of course some pretty scary roads some times it is best to not look out the window!


We visited a few bars in the evening and the next day after a nice hot shower (first in 3 days!) and a comfy bed we had the day to ourselves and so went on a city open top bus tour stopping at historical tourist locations around the city.


Did not elaborate in the last blog but Chris and I when in Lima sightseeing decided to walk to the tourist area rather than taxi or tour bus, ended up taking us 2 hours walking and walked thru some dodgy areas, so bus this time!


After another night at the hotel we headed off towards Colca Canyon.


Next blog will cover Colca Canyon and the Machu Pichu trek and maybe a map showing how far we have travelled so far, for now


Larf




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



19th May 2010

A long way since Utila
Mark I am sure enjoying your adventure. You have gone a long way since Utila. What fun. It was so great spending time with you before I headed back to the US. Enjoy the rest of your journey I look forward to your blog and seeing all the great places you are visiting. You will have some great memories. Take care.

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb