Kayaking the Apurimac


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Apurímac
June 11th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Headed off for a two day kayaking experience on the Apurimac. The river is about two hours away from Cusco in the worlds third largest canyon. Apparently canyons are big here. It was a group of three, two Israeli´s, one of whom used to work in Charlotte so it was a nice small world connection.

The first hour or so we practiced paddling and how to escape should we capsize. Then we headed down the river in mostly class one and two rapids with a three sprinkled in there. I busted once and nearly slammed straight into a rock at one point. That afternoon at the hostel we practiced flips in the thermal baths and then fixed dinner and hit the bed fo a 7 am wake up call.

The next day we practiced rolls again in the morning in the thermal baths and I got a full roll going after a bit. Then we headed in the van to go up the river a bit and do some class 3´s and 2´s for four or so hours. Unfortunately, the waterproof camera´s pictures haven´t been released.

It was a lot of fun and glad that I did that in lieu of the rafting. I was tired of big groups and also wanted a little quiet and solitude. Having said that, the Apurimac runs class 5 rapids and that would have been fun too. An english guy a spoke to last night said the rafting wasn´t as exciting and terrifying as he had hoped.

I am ready to get home and have a typing keyboard that consistently works. I am also experiencing my fist case of being sick when I travel. This is no fun and I should be close to the hostel all day today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb