Paraguay (Itaipu Dam and Cuidad del Este)


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Ciudad del Este
June 20th 2010
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My research into Paraguay and the reports of fellow travellers lead me to think that Paraguay was a country best well avoided. However, given that it was so close to Puerto Iguazu in Argentina, it would feel like a missed ´opportunity´ if I were not to visit, if only briefly. Fortunately, my hostel in Puerto Iguazu were aware of a day trip which included the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls and Paraguay, so I wasted no hesitation in booking the trip.

It was a long day trip. The first stop was Brazilian Iguazu Falls (covered under a separate blog), followed by the most amazing all you can eat (seriously, the quality of the food was not disimilar to a high class restaurant so I almost ate myself to death!). We then headed onto Itaipu Dam, which is responsible for some mind boggling statistics. Construction began in 1975 and at its peak had 30,000 workers engaged on the job. There are various quoted numbers of deaths at the site but, from recollection, it was said to be around 125 but some reports suggest over 400 (some of which were encased into the rapidly setting concrete, never to be seen again). Such is the extent of its generational power, it generates 75 billion kWh per year and currently supplies 78% of Paraguays energy and 26% of Brazils energy!....and let's not forget that Brazil is a country of almost 200 million people! On arrival we are ushered to watch a PR film which is all too proud to emphasise such figures (even claiming it still to be the biggest in the world even though the Three Gorges Dam in Chain now has the honour). The sight of the Dam is not as impressive as I had thought; it might have been bad timing as there was no water flowing down the slipway chutes, and my mind was still in amazement at Iguazu Falls. Despite what man might achieve - and Itaipu Dam is massive achievement - mother nature still tops anything that we have built thus far.

We then pay a visit to Cuidad del Este; this being quite an unnerving place of general chaos. It´s bandit city where contraband goods is the currnecy and tourists are the highest priced target! Think thousands of Paraguayan Del Boys and your image might not be far wrong! One hour wandering around the chaos is more then enough, although we spend another 3 hours trying to manourvre our way through the 1km of chaos towards and over the bridge of no mans land back into Brazil. Phew, I don´t think I´ll be going back to that city again! Next is Rio de Janeiro.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb