Paraguay-Parana Waterway


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Asunciòn
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi , I am a Bolivian-American Anthropologist that has lived , researched, and traveled extensively in South America, and I would like to offer you some of my impressions and tips, hoping that these will be of some use for your coming trips to the region.

If you are looking for expanding your travel experiences and horizons in South America, I strongly recommend a trip on any of the segments of the Paraguay- Parana Waterway( 3500 km), which starts in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and ends in Cuiaba,Brazil, the waterway connects five countries, Argentina,Uruguay,Paraguay,Bolivia and Brazil.

Boarding in Asuncion,Paraguay, You can enjoy extraordinary sun sets, riverine landscapes,and cultural snapshots all along the trip from Asuncion to Concepcion,Paraguay.

There are two boats that make the trip every week. Booking accommodations is made directly with the captain at the port of Asuncion. I suggest you rent a cabin, it is worth the expense and it is also much more comfortable and safe. You can either take a bus back from Concepcion, or keep on traveling on the same boat to the Brazilian border, and further on to Puerto Suarez,Bolivia, and Corumba,Brazil. Unfortunately from Concepcion on there aren't any other vessels that will take passengers, since most are cargo ships that very rarely will make the exception. The same boat can bring you back from Concepcion to Asuncion. Make sure to carry a life vest just in case, or a small inflatable raft if going with children, better be safe than sorry. The trip will also provide you with cultural insights into the life of the merchants that make a living on that part of the waterway. You will see other passengers renting hammocks, or seats, aside of those that travel with their cargo back and forth from Brazil to Paraguay. Furthermore you will pass by some private ports serving cattle ranches and small settlements. If you are into Environmental Affairs , Anthropology, or Transportation Logistics, it will be worth your while. Have a nice trip,and enjoy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb