Lethem Rodeo


Advertisement
Guyana's flag
South America » Guyana » Lethem
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

RodeoRodeoRodeo

Cowboys
I experienced Lethem at a time when it is, probably, nothing like a Lethem that the locals know: Rodeo time. Lethem is so far from Georgetown it's practically Brazilian. The shop signs are in Portugese and English, there is a Brazilian restaurant and many people speak Portugese. Lethem's roads (tracks) are all red. Anywhere you walk you get covered in red dust. And you have to walk a lot because everything is extremely spread out in Lethem, and there is no public transport. I have been informed that people normally hitch lifts in trucks, but obviously not at rodeo time.

I saw lots of horses and bulls, painfully throwing their riders into the dust. I drank lots of beer, rum, strange Brazilian cocktails, and ate lots and lots of meat on sticks, something very rare for someone living on the coast of Guyana- meat! Lethem still knows how to party like Guyanese, with the gas station lime and clubs. They dance faha which is Brazilian and tricky, and are really nothing like the coast of Guyana. It's all savanah and Amerindian people for a start.

Lethem was nice to visit, but strikingly different to where I was living. I
Looks painfulLooks painfulLooks painful

Simon, a British friend, also did this!
wanted to go home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb