The Wild West; Sort Of


Advertisement
Guyana's flag
South America » Guyana » Lethem
March 10th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Georgetown to Lethem


Additional maps: Georgetown to Lethem | Georgetown To Lethem


Georgetown to Lethem
Georgetown to Lethem
Georgetown To Lethem
Becky
We took a taxi to Ogle Airport to leave for Lethem. We checked in at 9 a.m. and our flight left a little after 10. It was the smallest plane I have ever flown in. There were 4 rows of 3 seats and only 1 pilot whom we could see the entire time. From the air we saw only rainforest until we were eventually over the savannahs and landed in Lethem. Lethem is completely different from Georgetown. It is a lot cleaner, trash wise, but all the roads are sand and dirt. It has the feel of an old western town. John Wayne riding in on horseback to catch the outlaws or stop at the saloon… something like that.

Terrence picked us up at the “airport” and had our bags already off the bus and loaded on the truck. Stan landed his plane right after ours. We grabbed some lunch at this little place called T & M where everybody gets a plate of the same thing. The food was better than what we had in Georgetown. Our next stop was Mrs. Foo’s guesthouse where we are staying. There are 4 bedrooms, a community bathroom, and a lounge/living room. There is no air conditioning in the house so Bill and Christine decided to camp out in the yard in tents. Dad and I are staying in a room since we have some nice little battery-powered fans that Dad rigged up. The beds have mosquito nets, which is good because I was getting bitten frequently during the night in Georgetown.

We went to the hospital to see where we will be working and to get set up for the next day. Some patients were already at the hospital so we were able to see 4 of them tonight, which is good because that will save time tomorrow. Bill, Christine, and I walked back to Mrs. Foo’s in the dark. Luckily Bill knew the way. The rest of the night was spent sitting around talking until bedtime at 11:30.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb