Bountiful Birds, The Big Battle and a TravelBlog Reunion


Advertisement
South America » Falkland Islands » West Falkland
February 19th 2020
Published: March 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

In the end of course, it’s always worth it….all the planning, the packing, the airports and then finally you’re there….ahh…. that exquisite moment when you’re sailing out of port and the journey is on…. the moment you dreamed of had arrived… finally. We find ourselves standing on the aft deck of a reasonably sized ship, watching the sun set as the land gets smaller and smaller in s... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Welcome TeaWelcome Tea
Welcome Tea

Ocean Endeavor
Welcome to the Ocean EndeavorWelcome to the Ocean Endeavor
Welcome to the Ocean Endeavor

We will see what the next few weeks holds for us.
Watching the babies on the nestWatching the babies on the nest
Watching the babies on the nest

Parents fly in with food
Respectful distanceRespectful distance
Respectful distance

Watching nature in action
Wandering Carcass IslandWandering Carcass Island
Wandering Carcass Island

In search of penguins
Keeping our distanceKeeping our distance
Keeping our distance

Enjoy watching these beautiful birds
Falklands Steamer DuckFalklands Steamer Duck
Falklands Steamer Duck

We think... dang we should have written that down
Visiting StanleyVisiting Stanley
Visiting Stanley

East Falkland Island
Historic MemorialsHistoric Memorials
Historic Memorials

Falkland Islands
Falklands Islands TeaFalklands Islands Tea
Falklands Islands Tea

Thank you Alan and Jackie
Falklands Battle GuideFalklands Battle Guide
Falklands Battle Guide

Full of historical knowledge and wicked funny.



16th March 2020

Love your photos and narrations!
16th March 2020

Love photos and narration
Thanks Susan for following along- we enjoy your comments. This was an amazing trip and we have a lot we’d like to share. We saw nature in its rawest form and words are not coming easily. Hope to will stick with us.
16th March 2020

Just love a Penguin
Wow - you are having such a fabulous time really jealous - we loved the Falkland Islands and were only lucky to have one day there - definitely a place to go back to and spend more time. Keep Enjoying.
16th March 2020

Just love a Penguin
We could not agree with you more. As you read the next couple of blogs you will find that we loved the whales, seals and all manner of wildlife but our hearts are with the penguins. We never tired of seeing them. They are special. We would love to fly into the Falklands and spend some time.
16th March 2020

Quite a place.
It must have been fascinating to visit such a far flung spot. The pictures remind of the west coast of Scotland with that bleak beauty. Comically, when Argentina invaded the Falklands quite a few Brits though they were part of the Scottish islands! There's probably more varied wild life in the Falklands. I've got a friend who's been a couple of times to visit, largely because of his links to the British Military. He didn't see active service there, but many of his friends did.
16th March 2020

Quite a place
The Falklands have more to offer than anyone can imagine. They are captivating in beauty and rich in history. They do resemble the craggy Scottish coast in places. It is truly off the beaten path.
16th March 2020

Falkland Islands
Thank you for the blog entry. I truly enjoyed both the narrative and photography. Keep the blogs coming.
16th March 2020

Falkland Islands
Martha, thanks for reading and commenting. These are beautiful islands far, far away. More blogs just around the corner.
16th March 2020

Watch the Birdie
What wonderful descriptions and photos. With all the craziness these past few days it was great to see nature at its finest.
16th March 2020

Watch the Birdie
This serene landscape does calm one in today's craziness. Hope Bill liked the photo we posed just like he did in Australia! Thinking of you always.
16th March 2020

The Falklands Revealed
Great introduction to your amazing trip! I remember the thankfully short-lived battle between the UK and Argentina over the Falklands; especially remember the stalwart Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher. However, I didn't realize there was so much to see or like about those islands. Thanks to you for shedding light on them. Your photos are marvelous! Look forward to reading more about your journey!
16th March 2020

The Falklands Revealed
Thanks for following along. Fortunately, it was a short battle but never good when young lives are lost at war. You must make a trip to these sensational islands. So many penguins so little time.
16th March 2020

I've been looking forward to your first blog...
You FB posts gave me a taste of what was to come!
16th March 2020

Looking forward.... first blog
We have a nice story to tell. It was an adventure. So many penguins so little time. Thanks for following along and commenting.
17th March 2020
Directions from Ushuaia

Giddy with excitement
The great adventure begins...MJ's return to Antarctica after many years absent and the Dangerous One to do what he does best. Delighted you sat and breathed in the Falklands as much as you could. As I sit in self imposed isolation I also delight for you that your trip was timed to inadvertently laugh a virus in the face and say "You didn't stop us!"
17th March 2020
Directions from Ushuaia

Giddy with excitement
Our grand adventure on the 7th continent has begun. A wonderful reunion and the Dangerous One landed on "The Danger Islands"... details to come. The Falklands are a hidden gem. We are so fortunate to have gotten back days before the flights we cancelled.
17th March 2020

Beautiful!
We only did Antarctica, missed the Falklands. Stayed two nights at Tierra del Fuego after the cruise to go see the Merino Glacier, well worth the extra time
17th March 2020

Beautiful
Angeline, so good hearing from you and thanks for commenting. I imagine one of our future blogs will look familiar to you. We hope to go back to Argentina and Chile for six weeks.... sooner than later.
20th March 2020

Kindred Spirits Indeed
What a great start to your trip. Was I surprised that you ran into Dave in Ushuaia? No, I was not. Your wonderful spirit attracts kindred spirits so easily. I am so happy you found Dave. Can't wait for the next blog.
20th March 2020

Kindred Spirits
Ushuaia is a small town as you know so I guess not unlikely but the timing was incredible. I'm glad we found you on TB and you became part of the family. Working on future blogs now. So much to share.
22nd March 2020

Antarctic Adventure Begins!
Wow, just the beginning of your amazing Antarctic adventure, and what beautiful sights to behold. I love all the penguin shots, and I too would probably have chosen the Battle Tour! Hmmm, the idea of being a caretaker of West Point Islands seems very tempting...! Looking forward to reading more ?
22nd March 2020

Antarctic Adventure Begins!
You would make a fine caretaker although you'd have to do a lot of baking for the ship guest who stop by. I'm sure they would share their recipes with you! The battle tour was extremely well done. These islands capture your heart with beauty and isolation. Simply indescribable.
29th March 2020

Bountiful Birds
Pictures were so fun. If I ever am creating a trivia team that has anything on it about geography or wildlife, I want you two on my team.
29th March 2020

Bountiful Birds
It was great. Keep us in mind for the trivia team! More birds coming soon.
14th April 2020

Catching up...
Slowly catching up on blogs, and I can already tell that you have loved your Antarctica experience very much. Your excitement is palpable! And looks like they favoured Australian wines on the cruise.
14th April 2020

Catching up...
Thank you for reading and commenting. It was a fantastic experience. Nature raw, pristine and beyond words. Lots of Australian and South American wines with a couple from California and Africa.
13th October 2020
Welcome Tea

Falkland Islands
Amazing blog. Id love to visit these islands. I understand you can now get a direct flight to Stanley from Buenos Aires, if you do ever get chance to revisit.
15th October 2020
Welcome Tea

Falkland Islands
We've talked about how much we enjoyed the Falklands and would consider going back.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb