Galapagos Day 7 - La Loberia & Chasing a(nother) Turtle!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
May 7th 2012
Published: May 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we planned a somewhat relaxing day. It was a very hot day today without any of the cloud cover that made the previous two days more pleasant. We had just sat down for breakfast when I broke my first sweat.

The dock was bustling this morning with crews picking up supplies for their ships. We saw the Austrailian couples boat there to pick them and others up today. After looking at the ships for a bit we picked up our snorkel equipment, with fins today.

With only one spot on our agenda and the sun re-cooking our already burnt skin already we opted to hang out at the hostal til the afternoon so we would miss the worst of the mid-day heat and be able to walk back around 6 when it starts cooling off.

At about 3:00, after grabbing a snack we were in a $2 pick-up truck, what all the taxis are here, on our way to La Loberia. It was a pretty popular place, not only for people but for the sea lions as well. Despite the waves and currents we were able to get some really good snorkeling in. The rocky areas were full of fish. We saw some of the long, thin, flute like fish. We saw another sea turtle, this time a small one. It was Sarah's best view of a turtle and while we tried to follow it, he led us right in to a big group of sea lions that were just floating on the surface. Being worried about getting a grumpy old male upset about us swimming in his territory we broke off from the turtle and watched him swim away.

After a couple snorkels and some relaxation on the beach we started to walk back to town with a beautiful sunset over the ocean as the backdrop.

I think our plan to avoid the worst of the sun worked as neither of us got too burnt today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb