Memories from Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
May 8th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Avenida de los Volcanes from the plane between Guayaquil and Qutio.

Singing random songs with Conni and Jose on the bus back from the Equator.

Rebecca, Helena, Maira & Whitney and the fellas at Blue House Hostel. Good times!

Jana, the Belgian eco-warrior in Banos.

My hard earned ice cream at Rio Negro at the halfway point on my Banos to Puyo cycle.

White water rafting with the crazy Argentinians in Banos and the well-earned beer with the unfortunate madrileno Manuelo, laughing about his unexpected swim!

My first teaching experience...a class of 51 Ecuadorian teenagers at Colegio Nacional de Tabacundo.

Afternoons spent preparing the seed beds with Fred, diiscussing all manner of topics.

Wednesday afternoons at Edwin's farm; Maggie's cooking, Edwin's knowledge and little Michaela & Pachita's smiles. Was also great to see the progress being made in the greenhouse week by week.

Tuesday afternoon "venta" in Tabacundo and Cayambe in Edwin's pickup. Was good to see people buying the fruits of our labour!

Copa Libertadores at Liga with Justin from Minnesota...top fella!

Talking Glasgow with Polly in the company of Edwin, Fred and Daniel sat on Pete's veranda on a beautiful night in Intag.

Edwin's birthday night! Surprise party with all the volunteers, zucchini cake, Norteno and some hearty debate. A full house...just how Edwin likes it!

Carnival afternoon at the Hacienda with Gabriel and Eladio's families, Esteban and all the volunteers. Pilsener, ecuavolley, football, cuy and getting soaked by a pleased as punch little Jimmy and his muddy water!

Visit from Colombia at Edwin's; full house on a Wednesday afternoon - business meeting, Fred, Colombians, Maggie's cooking + Colombian liqeur + setting the world to rights = 3 am finish and no school the next day!

Steak and red wine on a rainy Saturday night in Ibarra with Ebele...can't wait for Argentina!

A reflective day while hiking around the Cuicocha volcanic crater.

Friends of Willie from Rome, the indigenous jam session in the half-finished shoe shop and here's to two random nights on in Tena!

Sifting for gold in the Amazon with the knowledgable Matildo.

Michaela Blue Eyes and her wonderful singing voice on my last week at the Hacienda.

Little Pachita's birthday party and an emotional farewell to the Ayala family.

Nueva Prosperina, Yesenia, Freddy, Nicolle, Britany, Tito's music classes, and the teachers a the school, the wonderful kids and fantastic atmosphere at the school.

Rum and dancing on a Saturday night in sunny Puerto Lopez with the friendly madrilena Elena, Mireya the Argentinian Artisan and Pablo the local Artisan.

Isla de la Plata and the Argentinian sisters.

Talking the night away with Tiffany and her mother from L.A., Paddy and Fanny from Ayampe listening to Paddy's stories from her trip around Europe 30 years ago. Great chat, great wine!

Watching the sunset from a deserted Ayampe beach.

Meeting the Roman's again in Puerto Lopez and spending a great night with Angelica at dinner in the Modenese restaurant and meeting up with the father and son travellers from Sud-Tirol.

Beautiful Cuenca and listening to one of the best live acts I've seen in a bar there...finishing up with With or Without You, One, Roxanne and Come Together, was a strong set!

My Ecuador reading: "What if Latin America Ruled the World?" by Oscar Guardiola Rivera, "Banker to the Poor" by Muhammed Yunus and "This is the One" by Daniel Taylor.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb