Cuenca and the Southern Highlands


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
May 8th 2007
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Loja Market Loja Market Loja Market

Veggie section yumm
I took an overnight bus from Quito to Loja, which is a small, yet very charming city in the southern area of Ecuador. I thought it seemed like a mini Quito, as it is situated in a valley. It’s a very attractive, clean and safe city. There is not much to do in this city, which is why I only spent a couple of hours there, exploring the center of the city, churches and markets. I also hiked up to the “Virgen de Loja”, which is so small that locals don’t even know it's there; however, it over looks the city, which means there are some views to be seen.

Vilcabamba is a small town situated about an hour south of Loja city, still in the Loja province. Its known all over Ecuador as the “Valley of Longevity” because a lot of folks live to be 100 or more years old. Some say it's in the water, while others say its because this gorgeous mountainous town is so "tranquillo". Many foreigners move here for the relaxed vibe!


Cuenca is, in my opinion, the most beautiful city in Ecuador. Being the 3rd largest city in Ecuador (after Guayaquil and
Vilcabamba Vilcabamba Vilcabamba

Chilling out with his little friend
Quito), Cuenca is the capital of the Azuay province. Cuenca has been given the honor of being listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Trust Site. It’s an old, well kept, scenic and clean city with many churches, cathedrals, colonial buildings, plazas, narrow cobblestone streets, museums, art galleries and good restaurants. Cuencanos (people from Cuenca) speak slowly and most people believe they seem as if they are signing. We stayed at “El Cafecito” hostel, which is the place to be in Cuenca, as the restaurant was packed every night. They even had a huge party on the day that we got there, I think they were celebrating our arrival : ) Ian met us, we walked around the gorgeous historical center of the city, down the Rio Tomebamba to the Inca ruins that were preserved in the city, visited the cathedrals, explored the markets, went to a cool amphibian and reptile zoo (random, I know) and a little fiesta at night!

I strongly recommend the “Museo del Banco Central” (Pumapungo Museo), it’s the best museum I’ve been to in Ecuador. It has many different sectors including archaeology (history of the Canaris and Incas before the Spanish showed up), ethnography of
Cuenca at  nightCuenca at  nightCuenca at night

Sarah and I arrived in Cuenca at night so we just walked around and admired the stunning lighted buildings!
the diverse people of Ecuador, and some good art galleries.

Cajas National Park was the next stop on the intinerary. There was a wonderful day of hiking and basking in the cold ambiance of Paque Nacional Cajas, we were fortunate enough to see stunning lakes, cloud covered mountains, llamas, rivers, waterfalls, forests, and gorgeous plant life. (Bring food as there are no restaurants and warm clothes.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 104, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Parque Nacional CajasParque Nacional Cajas
Parque Nacional Cajas

Still taking everything in...
Partying in Quito Partying in Quito
Partying in Quito

The WenSTAR and JehSTAR... yeah thats right! Were cool enough to pull off those nicknames!
Our hostel wins Our hostel wins
Our hostel wins

Hidden Garden Hostel was the best!
Andrea Andrea
Andrea

We adopted her for the few days we were there!
GorgeousGorgeous
Gorgeous

The tranquillo town of Vilcabamba is surrounded by beautiful mountains
In LOJA!In LOJA!
In LOJA!

These are the gorgeous city views from the Virgin of Loja


9th May 2007

wow
The pictures are beautiful, as are you my darling. I am so happy you are having fun. Miss you xoxoxo
16th May 2007

frig ya!
looks like ur still havin a blast! Did you get sexier?? Impossible. Newayz when u comin back to Canada? Bring back the guy that owns Shooters and one of those towers. Then........................ we dance

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb