Montañita, more beach and cocktails


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Montañita
December 16th 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Back in the mountain town of Cuenca, we missed the sweet life of being beach bums and decided to head back to the coast and see what the Ecuadorian beaches have to offer. We picked out the small village of Montañita along the "Ruta del Sol", the route of the sun. Sounds pretty promising, doesn't it?

We could not do the whole distance between Cuenca and Montañita in one day, so we stayed in Ecuador's biggest city, Guayaquil, for a night. Even though the city sounded really nice from the travel guide, we did not see anything of it besides what we saw from the taxi to the hostel and on the short walk to a restaurant. Next time.

The next morning, we were on our way to the coast and Montañita turned out to be a great pick. The main street was yet again lined with hostels, bars, surf shops and restaurants and street vendors which were mostly hippies really, sold their arts and crafts along the sidewalk. The small streets towards the beach were packed with little booths where you could buy fresh juices, cocktails and food.

After dark, even more street vendors appeared around town with their little home made carts and sold pretty much every fried food you can think of. To conclude the hippie-feel of Montañita, street artists put on juggeling and fire shows that were accompanied by multiple drums.

We stayed right on the main street at the "Tiki Limbo Hostel" and even though the staff of the hostel seemed to be having their first day at work everyday, we had a great waiter in the restaurant who could answer all our questions. So our time in Montañita was really just hanging out at the beach, swimming, enjoying some happy hour cocktails and good food.

Even though I am vegetarian, I don't think I am a picky eater but there are some things that I really, really don't like. Avocados is one of them. During the last weeks, I have been served avocados almost daily, they come in soups, in salads, in warm dishes, in everything. Grim is laughing every time I get my plate in a restaurant because it definately has avocado on it and I usually just hand it to him and he eats it delightfully but I have poked my fork in the green mass without taste now and then and have eaten a fair share of avocado in South America now. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb