Manta part 1- day 11

Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Manta
March 14th 2018
Published: February 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 11 - Manta- part one.

Dave causes a medical emergency.

(He is fine panicking please Barbara)’s 10:45 am here and we are back on board with David safely tucked up in bed after a frightening experience (for me!!!) in town.

We were up bright and early and off the ship before nine am....everything seemed fine...... though David did comment a few times about the intensity of the heat in Ecuador this early in the morning.

We took the short, two minute shuttle ride out of the port and, once we disembarked, started the mile or so walk toward the main town and artisan market. It was hot.....nine am and already mid eighties and, on the seafront, there was no shelter from that heat or the sun.

Again, I thought everything was fine....Dave seemed okay, maybe a little quieter than usual but we were concentrating too on an old couple who were walking behind us. We wanted to make sure they didn’t get surrounded by locals touting stuff as well as taxi drivers constantly beeping and driving up to us at speed offering lifts.

We made it to an overbridge where we could cross safely....the main road was four lanes of no rules traffic..... and then we were in the middle of the nice artisan market. There were lots of handicrafts on sale, the best of them was a type of ivory made from a looks and carves just like ivory but without the death of innocent elephants.

I bought a necklace made of the stuff from one of the stalls and David got a football shirt.

Things started to go wrong quite fast after that.....just in the square where the market was, there is a cafe type stall. Dave suggested sitting down there for a moment and so I ordered us a beer to share. I noticed then that he looked extremely white....I mean, ghost like. I asked the man if they had any food, thinking blood sugar issues..... buy the lack of Spanish on our part meant we were not understood.

Next thing, David is on the floor, his t-shirt completely soaked with sweat and his face paler than ever. Within a few minutes we were surrounded by police officers, taxi drivers, stall owners and the wife of the cafe owner all very concerned but none with a word of English and me with no Spanish other than, please, thank you, hello and goodbye.

The best I could do was sign language to say -“heat, it’s so hot....”. And “sugar”... the wife lady seemed to understand this and she came back very quickly with a sticky looking boiled sweet. I heard one policeman talking on a phone, clearly to a hospital or ambulance of some kind....he kept asking me questions in Spanish which I couldn’t was all quite scary. I thought an ambulance would pull up, take David away and cart him off somewhere where we would struggle to find our way back.

David, at this point, was still face down on the floor, conscious, but deadly white and panting. He managed to take the boiled sweet though and held it in his mouth. People were pouring water over him, the number of bodies surrounding us actually made it worse because it was suffocating for me, let alone David.

After about ten minutes, a lady came running toward us....she had an I.D tag on and I guessed she would speak English. I asked her “do you speak English?” Thankfully she did. Then I was able to explain that David had fainted and it was likely the heat and a lack of sugar (we always eat breakfast out on our port stops to experience the food)

She asked if we wanted to go to hospital and David roused at this and managed to say no....the sugar from the sweet worked quite quickly.... after a few more minutes he was able to sit....then stand. Still deathly white I wanted to get David back to the ship..... I asked the lady to thank the cafe owners who had given us the sweet...she did so and I managed to lead us both out of the market, past bemused looking police officers still talking on their phones and onto the main road.

We walked back to the ship, it’s not that far really....went up to get some food from the horizon grill and now Dave is in bed and I’m typing this. Once he wakes, we will head out long as he feels up to it. From what we have seen so far, it’s a busy town with lots to see and do...good Job we have two days here!

The heat’s something else.

I managed to resist taking photos of Dave whilst he lay on the floor which was very restrained of me I think....I did take one of him on the shuttle bus on our way back to the boat though. Gotta think of my blog too!


Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb