Once in a lifetime trip to the Galapagos Islands!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
October 7th 2005
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

GuayaquilGuayaquilGuayaquil

This was the view from our Hotel Colon room.
The GALAPAGOS ISLANDS; I didn't know much about them except blue footed boobies and huge turtles lived there and just what I saw from the movie 'MASTER & COMMANDER'. The wildlife alone made me want to visit here. From reading brochures & researching it on the internet, we had no idea what to expect. When we booked this with GENERAL TOURS, it said you walked on lava rocks & always had to be with a guide on the islands. There was a checklist of many things to bring including enough shirts to change a couple times a day, walking shoes and rubber-soled shoes or thongs. We were excited but at the same time nervous. There were 3 of us going; my friend Bernie, (who went to Nashville with me) her friend Brenda & me.

Our itinerary had us flying from Pittsburgh to Miami, then Miami to GUAYAQUIL. We flew American Airlines & had no problems. Miami Airport was big & a nice airport. We had a long layover because our flight was delayed. We didn't get into GUAYAQUIL until about 11:30pm & we were pretty tired! There was a lady there holding a sign with our names that picked us
GuayaquilGuayaquilGuayaquil

Another view of the city.
up & took us to the hotel. I had to laugh because our hotel was called HOTEL COLON but hey, it was a DELUXE with a 5 STAR rating! As soon as we walked in a waitor came right to us with drinks & a washcloth for our hands. Talk about service! We were checked in within 5 minutes & went to our rooms. The room was beautiful with a nice view of the city. We also had 3 beds. I haven't traveled to as many places as others but this hotel was the NICEST one I have ever stayed at so far. It had been a long day & we went to bed with which Bernie kept repeating " It's so good to be horizontal!" lol

I was excited as we would be going to the actual islands today. It started off with a buffet breakfast with alot of various cheeses and fruits. One of the waitors asked Bernie if she was CHINESE & she replied with "No, I don't think I look Chinese". The waitor said, "Oh I mean no disrespect" to which Bernie said, "none taken". It's the 2nd time Bernie has been told that. We were picked up by Maria from General Tours & the van driver, who I can't remember his name. They took us to the airport in GUAYAQUIL & on our way there, pretty trees lined the divided highway through town. Maria said trees are there to protect the environment so the air is clean.

She escorted us to the check-in counter, luggage drop-off area and then sat with us explaining everything we needed to do & the forms we needed to keep. While waiting for our flight, there were alot of, shall I say "good looking guys" who were ECUADOR SOCCER FANS. Ecuador was in the soccer playoffs I believe. It made me wish I was going with them! They looked like they could be fun! We had to fill out a form, mostly asking us why we were visiting with multiple choice questions. One answer being, "to seek solitude". Mine was to take photographs. A couple of planes were parked right in front of the glass and we boarded them outside. (no tunnels)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb